How Tanning Affects the Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I worked in the tanning industry for four years. In that time, I saw firsthand how tanning might be hurting people more than helping them achieve a darker complexion. My own skin after tanning for two years began to look dull, had more freckles, moles and hairline wrinkles in addition to a “tan color.”

It was my job to sell people an idea of beauty and the cosmetic tanning lotions/care products that went with it. These did, and do, help add moisture back into the skin, and get rid of that “after-tanning” smell, but it only helps at the skin’s surface. The real problem with tanning is what people don’t see happening under their skin.

With summer just around the corner, here is some information about how tanning affects people.

When did tanning turn desirable? A brief overview:

For centuries in western culture, fair skin has often been associated with high social status while tan skin has implicated a lower status. This concept evolved from laborers performing work outdoors and exposing themselves to the sun, resulting in a tan pigment of skin. Fair complexions indicated wealth and the luxury because a light skin tone meant that person did not have to work in lower society tasks.

As advances in medicine prevailed during the late 1800s and turn of the 20th century, sunlight was used as a remedy to a variety of ails, most often in association with treating depression.

Then, during the roaring 1920s, the iconic French fashion designer Coco Chanel returned from a holiday with a tan after accidently becoming sunburnt whilst in the sun on a yacht. Her golden brown skin from her time spent in the Riviera sparked a new wave of cosmetic desire.Tan skin soon became associated with wealth because it assumed if a person was tan, they had time to relax out of doors and enjoy life. This became especially true in post-world-war America with the beginnings of the baby boomer generation.There was also a notable rise in the number of people diagnosed with skin cancer due to being outside more and without proper sun care knowledge.

How tanning works:

The sun emits three types of UV* light. One type, UVC, is filtered out by the atmosphere and does not reach Earth. The other two types are UVA and UVB, aka “the tanning rays.” UVA rays are longer in wavelength and penetrate deeper into the skin. UVB rays, also called “burning rays,” are shorter in wavelength and are more intense.

When skin is exposed to UV light from the sun, melanin-producing cells called melanocytes, located in the basal layer of the epidermis, are stimulated. The UVA rays trigger melanocytes to react by producing more melanin. Pigmentation already found in that skin type will redistribute itself as a defense to the UV light. This also causes a thickening of the outer “dead” skin cells layer to protect the skin (often causing a “leathery” look). This is why tanning salons will recommend exfoliating regularly to expose new cells to UV light.

UVB light takes longer to develop color within the skin. When it does, it is because the DNA in cells is damaged by the presence of UVB. This does build up the skin’s sun protection factor* but at the price of damaged DNA.

So, long story, shorter version:

UVA starts the tanning process by reacting with melanocytes that produce melanin. The result is immediate coloring.UVB is more intense and can cause color to develop later (either by burning or as a tan). UVB does more damage than UVA.

When people get sunburnt, it is because of the damage to the epidermis. In response to the damage the body increases blood flow to the injured area. This gives the impression of redness to skin color and a warm, “burnt” feeling.

*UV = ultraviolet (light)

*SPF = sun protection factor, measures sunscreen protection against UVB rays that cause sunburn. However, it does not protect against UVA rays.

How it hurts:

In May 2014 the Federal Drug Administration reclassified sunlamp products (tanning beds) from a class I, low-risk ranking to a class II, moderate-risk. Persons under the age of 18 are now no longer able to use tanning booths due to the severity of risks associated with UV light-emitting products.The press release from May 2014 by the FDA also cited the American Academy of Dermatology saying that people exposed to UV light from tanning beds have a 59 percent increase in the chances of developing melanoma, which is the deadliest type of skin cancer.

In addition to increased melanoma risk, other damage from UV light and sun damage are:

• Premature aging, aka “photoaging” through breakdown of collagen and elasticity of the skin
  • Wrinkles
  • Leathery-looking skin
  • Sagging
  • Damaged DNA cells
  • Dark spots
  • Benign or malignant growths (from damaged DNA)
  • Actinic or Solar Keratoses which causes scaly bumps and rough texture to the skin
  • Eye damage (by not wearing tanning-approved safety goggles or sunglasses)

How to protect yourself:

Always. Wear. Sunscreen. This increases your protection from UV light by creating a barrier from harmful rays. Through regular application, sunscreen lotions can decrease risk of sunburn.

*It is still possible to get tan while wearing sunscreen.

Wear protective eyewear. Eyes are a very sensitive area of the body and easily damaged. Wear sunglasses that shield against UVA and UVB rays.

Don’t forget your lips! The pigmentation of lips is different from the melanin in other skin surfaces. Protect it by applying SPF chap stick.

BONUS:

Check out how other countries are leading the way for sun safety:

Australia

Sources:

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/tanning/tale-of-tanning

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/sun-care/tanning-facts.htm

http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/Tanning/ucm116432.htm

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm399222.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm