Career

How Her Campus Shaped My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I’ll be the first one to admit that this semester has been a long one- I am in some of the hardest classes that I will take within my major, and the frigid Minnesota winter has not helped to raise my spirits. As much as I cannot wait for the semester to be over, it is a bittersweet ending as it is my last semester within Her Campus. As the semester comes to a close, I am left reflecting on my time spent within the chapter over the last three years.

When I moved to Mankato freshman year, I was completely lost (literally and figuratively). This was the first time I had ever been away from my family and friends, and I was completely alone in an unfamiliar place. I spent the first two weeks of the semester calling home repeatedly to inform my mother that I was just not cut out for the whole college thing and wanted to move home.

In a last-ditch effort, I found myself scrolling on the University website through the various student organizations offered on campus. An all women’s organization that was somewhat related to my major seemed the most non-threatening, so after giving myself a very literal pep talk, I filled out an application and attended my first meeting. I would say that in that moment, the trajectory of my college experience was set into motion.

As I became more and more involved within our chapter, I quickly found myself becoming more confident and growing in my independence. I attended all of the events that I could and began taking on more responsibility. I had the opportunity to attend Her Conference in New York last summer, which completely changed my perspective on how I perceived myself and my capabilities professionally. In the fall, I shifted into my role as president and co-campus correspondent for HC MNSU, and continue to learn and grow within the position as a leader every day. I feel blessed to have met some truly incredible women and developed lifelong friendships. As cliché as it sounds, I really did find myself within the chapter.

My time spent in HC was arguably the most transformative of my entire college experience. I am not the shy and timid girl that walked into new member orientation three years ago, and I cannot express how grateful I am for having stumbled upon such an incredible organization.

Her Campus is dedicated to empowering college women to succeed in their personal and professional lives, and that’s exactly what it did for me. Being a part of our MNSU chapter opened my eyes to the power of strong female leadership- I’m telling you, the future is female. Stand up for what you believe in, don’t be afraid to ask for what you want in life and remember that you have to love yourself before you can love anything or anyone else.

I won’t pretend to have any idea of what the future holds for me, but I know I will carry the experiences (and friendships) that I’ve had within HC with me for the rest of my life.

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.