Being in Greek Life on a Smaller Campus: The Ups and Downs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I never wanted to go to a huge university and walk twenty minutes across campus to my next class in the unpredictable Minnesota weather. In high school I was in the College in the Schools program through the University of Minnesota (U of M) from Farmington High School. Graduating from a class of roughly 350 students, which is quite small compared to surrounding cities such as Rosemount, Lakeville and Apple Valley, made visiting schools like the U of M seem very overwhelming. I always knew I wanted to go to a state school, so I picked Minnesota State University – Mankato. It wasn’t too far from home, and the the perfect size for my liking. I also knew I wanted to get involved on campus because I surrounded myself with volleyball year round for as long as I can remember. I decided to join a sorority because they were nationally recognized and I knew it would look good on a resume. I never expected that being a part of one would put me in different situations around campus. Not all of the situations that occured were good, but I gained knowledge and experience each time. 

People yell out car windows saying “Greek Life Sucks.”

This really does happen every once in awhile. I don’t think people understand that putting down my community doesn’t bother me. I know my community, it may be small, but I know some amazing people from these organizations. Also, the letters I wear embroidered across my sweatshirt and their meaning will mean more to me than their fowl words of ignorance.

People ask me if Greek Life is like the movies and what is in the news.

No. My Greek life is not like the movies. We do not ALL party. We do not only focus on a person’s beauty to enter an organization. We do not haze. We are not mean girls. We have more representation in leadership positions on this campus and have higher scholarship than the university average. We are more than a stereotype in the movies or what bad information comes from the news. 

Professors either accept you wearing your letters or they frown upon it.

An experience I had was when I had a Teaching Assistant who had previously made a viral hatred video about Greek Life that landed a spot on Total Frat Move. Although I didn’t do anything for him to personally dislike me, I felt uncomfortable because he had so much dislike towards my label. I understand he didn’t like Greek Life, but he hadn’t been apart of it so he will never understand it. On the other hand, I have had professors who adore that I am in a sorority. I had a professor for my Community Leadership writing intensive course who would call on me for answers all the time. He would also help accommodate due dates for assignments if I had a lot of work to do for my sorority. I was very grateful for his generosity and his understanding of being busy, not to mention I also got an A.

People think we are exclusive.

Yes, we do have organized socials and parties. These require guest lists, wristbands for 21-plus and black X’s on hands for those attendees who are under 21, a social planning form, and sober monitors. People who are not in a Greek organization usually don’t know this and think they can just show up to the parties. They end up not getting in because they are not on the list. This results in hatred and anger towards the sororities and fraternties, but they are assuming things before knowing the full truth. I like having the list to parties because then I feel safe and secure. There are not random people coming in and out, and there is no need to worry about your belongings being stolen. We are not exclusive, we just like knowing the people we socialize with and invite into our homes. 

Being in a sorotiy at Minnesota State University – Mankato has its ups and downs, but the ups definitely outweigh the downs. The Greek Community is strong and we enjoy each other’s presence. We make homecoming a big deal, we do philanthropy work in the community, we take leadership positions, we raise the bar for other university students with scholarship and we like to celebrate our accomplishments on the weekend. We are well-rounded people on a small campus and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Sorority woman with a million things to do, but doing none of it unless I have coffee.