9 Ways to Make the Most of Your Time Alone in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

College is the time to figure yourself out and meet people. What happens when those people leave to go home for the weekend? We focus so much on friends at school and I think sometimes we forget the other big reason that we’re here. Having time alone teaches you a lot about yourself. This time in our life is all about transitioning and learning how to be independent. Dedicate some time for you to figure out all your passions, strengths, and weaknesses.

1. Take a day trip somewhere

Venture out into the world of the unknown or maybe just to the county park right outside of town. Checking out places you’ve never been is fun. You’ll feel like a kid again by exploring and it should relieve some stress. 

2. Make yourself an amazing dinner

Pull out that fish or steak that you’re saving for a later day and make it now that you have time. Maybe even create some leftovers so you can reap the benefits all week. Check out some recipes online that sound good. Knowing how to make a couple good dishes will be helpful in the future!

3. Binge watch that show you’ve always wanted to see

You know those shows that everyone tells you to start watching right NOW? Pick one and completely submerge yourself in it. Want to watch something funny? Friends will not let you down. Looking for something that will make you get all the feels? Parenthood is the right show for that. Or maybe you want a drama with some eye candy? Sons of Anarchy.

4. Run all of your errands

You know all those place you need to run to? Get them done on the weekend so you can focus on more important things during the week.

5. Focus on your school work

Get ahead of the game in your studies. Dedicate some hours to all that school work so you aren’t smothered by it later.

6. Read a whole book in a night

Reading is a great way to escape from daily stress. I have around five books that I want to read for fun but never get to. Pull out a book, a mug with your favorite tea, and a few candles.

7. Loudly jam out to that amazing song you just fell in love with

Nobody will be around to judge those crazy good moves you’ve recently invented. Sing at the top of your lungs in the comfort of your own home and own ears. I suggest checking out Coleman Hell’s “2 Heads.”

8. Deep clean your home

Nothing makes me feel better than having a clean apartment. Dedicate some time to deep clean your place and you’ll feel the good vibes for weeks to come. Not to mention, your roommates will be thankful as well.

9. Go on a long walk to explore your town

Check out the town that you live in. It has so much to offer and this is a perfect way to discover all of those hidden gems around town. Getting outside will enhance your mood too!