8 Things All Make-Up Addicts Need You to Stop Saying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Yves Saint Laurent once said “The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion. But cosmetics are easier to buy.” I agree wholeheartedly. As someone who takes pride in their makeup and loves taking the time to make it perfect, there are a couple statements I’ve grown accustomed to hearing.

1. “Why would you ever spend that much time on your make-up?”

I could ask you the same questions. Did you really spend $100 on hunter boots? Did you really need a $35 Lily Pulitzer planner? You have your addictions and I have mine, let’s leave it at that.

2. “You spent how much on that new foundation?????”

If you have never felt the joy of putting on a $40 foundation then I feel sorry for you. With every dab of your beauty blender or swipe of a brush, you can feel your skin becoming more radiant. This new tube of product is my little baby and I will not let you insult it.

3. “What’s the dark stuff on the side of your cheek?”

It’s my contour and it took me 20 minutes to perfect. Don’t call it “dark stuff”. If you can’t appreciate my masterpiece then your comments aren’t needed.

4. “It’s pretty dumb to do your make up just to come to class.”

Do you really think I spent an hour on my make up for you? For our professor? For the cute boy in the back row? No! It brings me true joy to spend 20 minutes blending out my eyeshadow to perfection. I don’t do my make up for anyone but me.

5. “You have a whole table in your room dedicated to just make up?”

Yes I do and I am not ashamed of that. The best part of my morning is when I throw my hair up in a towel and sit down at my artist’s station. I look at all my products and get to decide the vibe I want to have for the day. Do I want a smoky eye with a bold lip? Should I go for my classic bronze eyeshadow and natural lips? Or do I want to create a new look with my morphe palette?

6. “Natural beauty is so much better than having a face full of products.”

Did I tell you that I hate when you don’t wear makeup? Did I ever say that all women should always be wearing make up? No, I did not and I would never say that. I’m all for women going out bare face and loving their bodies as is. I just prefer to wear makeup, and that is just my personal opinion. Women should do what makes them feel the most comfortable.

7. “Don’t you already have a red lipstick?”

Oh I see how you could be mistaken that this is any old red lipstick. However, this red lipstick has an orange undertone to it while not being peachy. I may have reddish lipsticks, but I don’t have this reddish lipstick!

8. “Will you help me pick out some new makeup products?”

This is the biggest thing that I absolutely despise hearing. Of course I will go and look at endless make up products with you. Ulta and Sephora are a second home to me and I would love to show you around. Let me show you the power of makeup.

Now go out and own your beauty! Whether makeup is involved or not.