This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

I remember the dark days back in high school when my teachers would tell us students to take out a piece of paper and write down whatever we wanted for two minutes straight. I most likely would roll my eyes in annoyance of having to do such a seemingly meaningless task back in the day, but now I find myself free writing without a teacher’s guidance.

Our mind is fascinating. We are constantly thinking about thousands of different things that we are unaware of. It is impossible to tap into every part of our subconscious thoughts to figure out everything we’re thinking of, but I find it fascinating to allow our train of thought takes over.

Often times, when I free-write, I have no intention of making a remarkable paper that will astound myself or others after reading it through. In actuality, my free-writes are often a combination of in cohesive words and phrases that have some connection, but do not actually make sense as a whole. This is totally ok! By letting our creative minds wander to places we often do not think about, we are able to discover new ideas. As many people often say, “think outside the box”.

Remarkable writings have their place, but taking time to just write what you want to write with no constraints can sometimes lead to unexpected works of art. Take time every once in a while, to just sit down and write whatever. Do not put constraints on yourself, just write whatever you are thinking about and do not judge your writing. Mistakes lead to the best forms of art.

I currently attend Marymount Manhattan College as a fourth-year senior where I am pursuing a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Dance with a double concentration in Choreography and Modern and a Bachelors of the Arts in Business with a concentration in Media & Arts Management. While at Marymount Manhattan College, I have choreographed new dance works for Dancers at Work and screenPLAY through the Dance Department. In my choreographic endeavors, I utilize an abstract, multidisciplinary method which reveals opportunities for further analysis, stimulates thought-provoking questions, and encourages societal change-making. I am interested in utilizing both my knowledge of Dance and Arts Management to create an interdisciplinary performance arts entity upon graduating from Marymount Manhattan College.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli