This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

In the Summer of 2017, my grandmother passed away from stomach and esophageal cancer. Over the past few months, I have collected my thoughts and literature that has accompanied me on my grieving process.

Every year on my birthday for as long as I can remember, I’ve received a call from a private number (although we are well rooted in the 21st century, my grandparents still have their number unlisted) and I always knew before answering that it would be my grandmother on the other end, and she would begin serenading me with “Happy Birthday”. No introduction, no “hello”, she would sing the song, then when she was done, she would greet me. “How does it feel to be (this many) years old?” she would ask me every year. I grew to expect it. Which was why, on my 19th birthday, roughly a month and a half after she passed away, I broke down in her bedroom, asking out loud to seemingly no one, “Where are you?”

You might be thinking that that’s an outlandish response to not getting sung to on your birthday, but that wasn’t the only problem. My family was outside on the porch, we were going to have our cake, and I excused myself to go to the bathroom inside. Even though you are surrounded by so many of your loved ones, when someone close to you dies, it still feels like there is so much missing from your day to day life.

The strangest part about losing someone is that it still feels like she is here, but somewhere very far away, where we can’t contact her. Some days it feels like she’s on some vacation she’ll be coming back from. It’s quite confusing when the “presence” of someone still lives even though their body no longer is.

I would not look at her at her funeral. It was a closed casket service, but the immediate family had the opportunity to say their last goodbyes with the top open. When my mother joined me afterward in the entryway of the funeral parlor, I dragged her to the bathroom and blubbered like a baby and repeatedly said: “It’s just not fair!”

Death is both fair and unfair. It’s natural, it happens – or will happen – to everything on this entire planet. So, why is it something that we find so hard to deal with? It is something that isn’t talked about. When you do talk about it, you’re considered morbid. People are shocked you’d bring up such a “depressing” or “dramatic” topic. Yes, it’s an emotional discussion that can be hard to deal with…but why do we avoid it so much? Do we want to put off thinking about it until that last possible moment? Is it something we should just take out of the back of the closet when we have to attend a wake or other mourning service?

In the past year and a half, I have had countless times where I will go to call her to tell her about some part of my day, and it’s just as confusing each time that I realize I can’t. I think about her every day. I’ve found, more and more, that I am extremely like her. I say and do things that remind me of how she acted. I constantly feel like I can’t escape the bittersweet memory of her because there are parts of her ingrained in me.

Her decline was harsh. I cried all the time. I visited several times a week, not knowing exactly how long we would have together. I did her nails once a week to keep her spirits up, and it was an activity that took a good amount of time that we could both participate in, and we started to try out different polish colors that she had never worn previously, as a woman who strictly wore sheer, pink colors for decades. She started to love wearing red polish, which was a color she deemed her whole life as too “gaudy” for herself. I was in the room when she signed her DNR papers for Hospice care. It seemed like she (understandably) was having such a difficult time coping with the realization that she was resigning to the fact that there would be no “after” this whole ordeal. My mom was with her most days, taking care of her (who on the outside, remained so incredibly strong throughout her sickness) and for a while it was hard, feeling like I was alone in the house, not knowing how to deal with my grief. Most nights, my drive home from work or dance would be filled with tears, as it was the one time of day I could finally put the music as high as I could and sob audibly. A few of my friends slowly stopped talking to me during this time, and I honestly think it was because I was so saddened that I was depressing to be around. I remember one particular night after I walked into her room and realized she had declined visibly since the previous visit, losing weight and a little more color in her face. Towards the end, she slept most of the time, and when she was awake, she wasn’t coherent. It was when I felt as if she were already gone, although I knew she would wake at certain parts during the day, just not when I was there. The car ride home after that was rough.

My grandmother and I would spend many afternoons sitting side by side on the couch in her living room, both with a book in our hands. We would become enveloped in our respective novels, still enjoying the company of each other. She was definitely a great influence early on in my love of literature. So, it seemed natural that literature would become something that has helped me the most in my most part of my life.

But, the same things that have helped my mother and my grandfather mourn didn’t help me in the same way, and that’s normal. Not everyone heals the same way. So, here is some literature that has helped me, and I will be including resources at the end for those coping. Keep in mind that, while these may help you, it can help to talk to a professional about how you’re feeling.

1. Kal by Fatimah Asghar, If They Come For Us

Allah, you gave us a language

where yesterday & tomorrow

are the same word, Kal.

A spell cast with the entire

mouth. Back of the throat

to teeth. Tomorrow means I might

have her forever. Yesterday means

I say goodbye, again.

Kal means they are the same.

I know you can bend time.

I am merely asking for what

is mine. Give me my mother for no

other reason than I deserve her.

If yesterday & tomorrow are the same,

pluck the flower of my mother’s body

from the soil. Kal means I’m in the crib,

eyelashes wet as she looks over me.

Kal means I’m on the bed,

crawling away from her, my father

back from work. Kal means she’s

dancing at my wedding not yet come.

Kal means she’s oiling my hair

before the first day of school. Kal

means I wake to her strange voice

in the kitchen. Kal means

she’s holding my unborn baby

in her arms, helping me pick a name.

2. Still Pt. 2 By McKenzie Teter, Dirty Soul

Death was listening

When the results came back

A simple matter of time

Death stared

And I looked away

Because I was too afraid

To watch the skin hug your bones

Or your handwriting glide

Outside the lines because

There were earthquakes in your hands

Death laughed

When things crashed in the kitchen

Or my name became a question

Death hummed

Along with the piano

As your body was presented in a box

A simple matter of time

Death walked

In circles around my life

Lingering just out of sight

But close enough to keep me cold

Death stayed

Longer than expected

Now Death and I sit

And talk about you.

3. (A piece of music, but with words like poetry just the same) Cancer by My Chemical Romance

Turn away

If you could get me a drink

Of water ’cause my lips are chapped and faded

Call my aunt Marie

Help her gather all my things

And bury me in all my favorite colors

My sisters and my brothers

Still

I will not kiss you

‘Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you

Now turn away

‘Cause I’m awful just to see

‘Cause all my hair’s abandoned all my body

Oh, my agony

Know that I will never marry

Baby, I’m just soggy from the chemo

But counting down the days to go

It just ain’t living

And I just hope you know

That if you say

Goodbye today

I’d ask you to be true

4. (Another piece of music) Nana by the 1975

I wish you’d walk in again

Imagine if you just did

I’d fill you in on the things you missed

Oh sleepless night, a grown-up man dressed in white

Who I thought might just save your life

But he couldn’t, so you died

I don’t like it, now you’re dead

It’s not the same when I scratch my own head

I haven’t got the nails for it

And I know that God doesn’t exist

And all of the palaver surrounding it

But I like to think you hear me sometimes

So I reached for a borrowed fleece

From my dad or from Denise

Always trying to keep warm, when you’re the sun

I sat with you beside your bed and cried

For things that I wish I’d said

You still had your nails red

And if I live past 72, I hope I’m half as cool as you

I got my pen and thought that I’d write

A melody and line for you tonight

I think that’s how I make things feel alright

Made in my room, this simple tune

Will always keep me close to you

The crowds will sing their voices ring

And it’s like you never left

But I’m bereft you see

I think you can tell

I haven’t been doing too well

If you have a friend who is still grieving from a loss, be a good listener, make sure to respect the person’s way of grieving, (so long as it isn’t damaging to them or others) and encourage them to reach out to a professional.

Remember that you don’t ever have to “get over” your loss. You will find a way to cope with it in everyday life. Doing activities your loved one enjoyed and volunteering/donating to your loved ones’ favorite charity or organization can help honor their memory.

Grief Recovery Helpline: 1-800-445-4808

Center for Loss & Life Transition: https://www.centerforloss.com/

Samantha Chicca is a 20-year-old student in NYC majoring in photography and minoring in dance at Marymount Manhattan College. Here you'll find articles about her job as a dog walker, her love of reading, her lifestyle, and other interests!
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com