Pattern Pairing as Told by Instagram

The style section of Instagram can be a wonderful place to find inspiration for everyday style, especially when it comes to the unexpected pairing of two pieces- so much so that I’ve assembled posts that felt particularly compelling. So go ahead, there are no rules here.                                  

@instylemagazine 

The styling for this shoot perfectly demonstrates playing up a print not by pairing it with a neutral, but by pulling all the colors together. The result is a cohesive, darling look with something to say.  

@loveshackfancy 

Take it from a brand that knows romance best. Here, knit stripes beautifully complement a delicate floral to create a soft and sweet feel with just a pinch of something daring. 

@rainbowwave_ltd  

Precise tailoring keeps this look sophisticated while the floral and plaid hues appear reminiscent of a springtime garden while textured tights keep the fun growing. 

@ardenrose 

This unexpected pairing pulls itself together by sticking with pink, white, and blue while the classic skirt and ankle socks work together to give off a vibe that is too cool for school.   

@lydianight  

Not a mix, but a match! This rockstar looks playful and casual while proving that pairing the same pattern in different colors is definitely a do.   

@anthropologie 

Yes, cheetah print counts as a neutral and can be worn with colors other than black. Reds, navy, or dark green brings out the print without making either garment compete with the other.   

@jcrew 

Dainty, tiny prints keep the eyes wondering without feeling too overwhelming, a respectable choice for those just starting to experiment.  

The best part is, there’s no need to feel like you have to be a “grammer” or have certain clothes. All it takes is some creativity! Take time to see how you can wear pieces you already own in a different way and you’ll feel confident and original. That’s all there is to it.