photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

My Favorite Thanksgiving Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Pass the mashed potatoes please! It’s the season of giving, and along with that comes some of the best food that the year could have to offer! Here’s my personal list of Thanksgiving foods from best to worst, and why they’re in that order:

Mashed Potatoes

The creamy, salty, buttery goodness of mashed potatoes always makes the meal. I don’t have mashed potatoes often, but waiting for Thanksgiving to really enjoy them is worth the wait. Add some gravy, and they’re even better.

Green Bean Casserole

I love green beans in general, but pairing it with cream of chicken soup and crispy onions makes the vegetable even better. Adding gravy to the casserole is amazing too. 

Stuffing

I used to not like stuffing because of its texture. But as I grew older, I began to really focus on the flavor, and now I love it. With gravy, it’s even better. Honestly…I add gravy to almost every dish. 

Turkey

Don’t get me wrong, turkey is good, but it’s definitely not the food item I try to get a helping of first. I usually don’t get too much of the turkey because I’m not the biggest meat-eater, but I appreciate the portions that Thanksgiving has to offer.

Bread Rolls

Definitely great to sop up gravy with. Bread rolls are good, but they don’t bring much excitement to the meal.

Cranberry Sauce

The gelatinous substance has just never appealed to me at all, however it is a crowd favorite with my family.

Corn

Corn is my least favorite vegetable. My family likes the dish, so it’s at every Thanksgiving meal.

Candied Yams 

I really dislike yams to begin with, and pairing them with a sweet candy like marshmallows just really deters me.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I wish for full tables of yummy food and full bellies on this gracious day. 

Double Major in Digital Journalism & Cinema, Television & Emerging Media with a Minor in International Studies NYC I'm always asked where I'm from and my answer should just become "all over the place" because I have moved so many times.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.