Misty Copeland’s memoir ‘Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina’ Is Still Relevant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Misty Copeland is an incredibly influential and relevant figure in contemporary society. Just as of this year, she became the first African American principal dancer for the prestigious ballet company, American Ballet Theatre. Her memoir was written in 2014, but it is as relevant as ever considering her incredible accomplishment. Copeland is a physical representation of dedication, physicality, and determination, which is clearly displayed throughout the book.

If you’re looking for an easy read with a great story, this memoir is for you! Copeland details her life growing up with five brothers and sisters and being raised by a single mom. She accounts for her first experience with ballet, at the age of 13 at the San Pedro Dance Center. Her story is one of triumph, as she faces adversity in many different ways: socio-economically, racially, and the fact that she began ballet later than most dancer who pursue the art professionally. She continuously uses ballet metaphors, introducing the reader, who may be unfamiliar with the specifics of classical ballet, to the terminology of the art. It is fascinating to turn the pages and read as her story unfolds before your eyes. In the beginning of the book she is a shy girl wearing gym clothes at a recreational dance center and by the end of the book, no spoiler here, she is confidently dancing with the American Ballet Theatre as a soloist. You read about every step in between, everything that got her to where she is at the end of the memoir. Because it was written in 2014, it does not account for her promotion to principal dancer, but she does state this as one of her goals towards the end of the novel. Congratulations to her for achieving her goal, and achieving something most ballerinas only dream about. So whether you’re a ballet buff or just need some inspiration on pursuing a dream despite the odds, pick up a copy of Misty Copeland’s memoir Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina for a great and memorable read.