How To Totally Rock Your Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Job interviews can be daunting and nerve–racking. It’s natural to be nervous but you should totally relax. Companies receive tons of applications daily and if you get to the interview round, their interest in you is already present. Be proud of yourself for landing an interview. They like what they see on paper and they are about to love what they see in real life. The rest should be no sweat, you got this.

Interviews are a time to let interviewers see you as a prospective employee but to also learn about you as a person. When you get reached out to about an interview it means you have the basic qualifications required – phew. Therefore it is best to point out your past work experience without restating your resume word-for-word. Now is the time when they want to know about you and your work experiences in detail.

Keep these tips in mind before you head off to your interview:

1. Do your research: With anything we do in life, we should always be prepared. An internship or job interview is something we should be really prepared for. Research the company you are seeking employment from. Search online and read articles to find out their past work, who their clients are, and check out what the company’s mission statement is.

Make sure you read the job description carefully and go on to state it in your interview, showing them that you are completely intune with what they are looking for. If the company is looking for employees who have worked with Excel or Cision Point, for example, let them know about your prior experience working with these programs and how you are familiar with them. This way they will know you are capable of doing the job task and are comfortable using them.

Ashley DeVincenzo, who does the hiring of interns for 5W Public Relations explained to me, “It’s very important to prepare for the interview. I love hearing when a candidate talks about a client or something we have done or something they saw on our website, it shows they are interested and did their research.” A key component to landing your dream job is to let them know that you are committed to their organization in particular. When an interviewee already knows the background of the company, what the organization does and who they work with, it makes the transition smoother when the interviewee is hired. You want to really ‘wow’ your future employer on your resume and cover letter by standing out in a good way. “The key is to be unique,” DeVincenzo stressed, “It also helps when candidates have prior communication or marketing internships and past administrative experience. Everyone starts somewhere but at a large agency I get hundreds of applications, so I need to see something different.”

2. Dress for Success: The famous saying goes, “Don’t dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want.” You may be in an entry-level position now but that is only temporary. By dressing professionally and looking your best, during the interview itself and while on the job afterwards, it’s a great way to seal the deal and start furthering your career. Nina Garcia, Creative Director of Marie Claire, has stated publicly, “When interviewing for any job, you of course want to dress appropriately for the position, but you also want to stay true to who you are.”

Don’t be afraid to let your personality be evident by your interview outfit. Although it must be professional attire, you should showcase your personal style as well. The way you appear is a form of communication in itself so feel free to accessorize the way you like. Interviews go by rather quickly, so you won’t have time to tell them everything you would like but a polished and stylish interview look will tell them a lot about you without you having to say anything. The interview is the time for them to physically see you in real life. Show them that you are well-groomed, have good hygiene and take the time every morning to look professional and presentable. 

3. Have Confidence: Confidence is imperative. On the day of the interview do things that will pump yourself up. Drink your favorite coffee, create an empowering playlist, and get pep-talks from your BFF’s.

A great way to gain confidence before a job interview is to prepare yourself. Think about your responses to typical interview questions ahead of time. If you know your answers to all of the basics you will be asked then you will feel more relaxed and confident. If there is something you don’t know during the interview process, or a question catches you off guard, simply think on your feet and come up with something that seems logical. Sometimes you gotta fake it ’til you make it!

Be prepared to explain your strengths and weaknesses in ways that will all appear positive. For example: Do not tell them that you lose track of time as a weakness or they will think you miss deadlines and aren’t punctual. Instead, tell them that you are a perfectionist. That may be taken as a bad thing in your personal life, but on the job it’s good. They want you to do a task until it is right, be devoted and dedicated. If you are a perfectionist, then it’s good for them as a company. Employers love to see an interviewee asking them questions, too. It makes it seem less like an interrogation and more like a pleasant conversation. Always answer yes when they ask you, “Do you have any questions?” Never under any circumstance answer no. By asking a question it shows you take initiative, which is what they want. The question doesn’t need to be complex, it can be as simple as, “What is the day to day like here in the office?”

Business News Daily journalist Nicole Fallon wrote ‘6 Interview Tips and Tricks’ and her best tip is to never be unemployed – even if you are. Fallon wrote, “Conventional job-seeking wisdom says to avoid employment gaps on your resume. Candidates often forget that not currently having a full-time position doesn’t mean they have to look unemployed on paper. Freelancing, volunteer work and one-time projects related to your field all count as valid work experience.” Being secure with your resume, interview question responses and your appearance will all constitute confidence for your big interview!

If you follow this advice you are sure to rock your job interview. If you don’t get it, remember it just wasn’t meant to be and something better is waiting for you instead. Good luck!

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside