mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Historic 2018 Midterm Election has Highest Voter Turnout in 50 years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

This year’s midterm election saw a surge in voter turnout, projections estimating that 48.5% of all registered voters cast a ballot. This is a significant increase, in comparison to last midterm’s estimate of 36.6%. This year was the highest turnout for a midterm election since 1970! In the 2014 midterms, 83 million votes were cast; this years midterm had an estimated 114 million. Youth votes, in particular, saw a massive increase. There was a 188% increase in votes from people ages 18-29 when compared to the 2014 election. Before Tuesday, election records were already being broken. Dozens of states set records with all-time highs for early voter turnout. It is reported that in 27 states, the number of early voter ballots surpassed 2014 midterm totals.

As a result of this election, there is a record number of women now serving in Congress. Overall, it has been a very historic midterm election!

AJ Pagnani

Marymount '21

Hello, I'm AJ Pagnani, a sophomore at Marymount Manhattan College. I am majoring in Theatre Arts with a minor in Religious Studies. I am a supporter of soup and slugs - separately; never together.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com