A Guide to Thrifting in Lower Manhattan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Living in the East Village, thrifting has become almost like a hobby to my roommates and I. we love spending our Saturdays venturing out in search of unique pieces and bonding over the experience. Fashion is very personal to me and I appreciate the way vintage clothing tells a story and makes you feel like you’re wearing something meaningful. I feel my best when I can be creative with my style, and thrifting is a great way to do so! For inspiration check out these shops:

L Train Vintage

204 1st Ave New York, NY 10009  

bet. 12th + 13th St

L train is famous for street style favorites like color block jackets and embroidered sweatshirts. And be sure not to miss the wide selection of vintage denim.

Cure Thrift Shop  

111 E 12th St, New York, NY 10003

bet. 3rd + 4th Ave

Cure is an eclectic shop filled with gently used upscale pieces and secondhand home treasures with proceeds going to diabetes research.

Buffalo Exchange

332 E 11th St, New York, NY 10003

bet. 1st + 2nd Ave

Buffalo Exchange offers new and recycled fashion in casual, classic styles. I’ve found garments here, including an open front fluffy hoodie, a hand sewn corduroy jumper, and bootcut distressed jeans.

Housing Works  

130 Crosby St, New York, NY 10012

bet. Prince + Houston St

Housing Works is a NYC based non-profit fighting AIDS and homelessness. Their Soho thrift shop sells charming decor in addition to clothing and shoes.

East Village Thrift Shop

186 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003

bet. 11th + 12th St

East Village Thrift Shop is often cluttered but definitely worth checking out if you’re looking for something specific and inexpensive.

Buying used clothing helps give clothes a longer life, and with many stores operating as a charity, it’s good for the community too. Living in a city where everyone is so expressive with their style of dress, it feels freeing to see that nobody worries about looking a certain way or trying to fit in. Plus, avoiding fast fashion and buying quality pieces helps keep your wardrobe minimal, yet curated and versatile.

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com