Farsáli’s Rose Gold Elixir Doesn’t Live Up to the Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

If you have an Instagram and have stumbled upon a make-up tutorial, you probably have seen people putting oil on their face or in their make-up. One of the most common moisturizers I have seen has been Farsáli’s Rose Gold Elixir, so I decided to try it out.

This Rose Gold Elixir has a five star rating on Farsáli’s website and is used among tons of make-up Instagrams. You can buy either a 15 ml for $35.00 or a 30 ml for $54.00 – I chose the 15 ml. The website states that it is ideal for all skin types, it is ideal for daytime use and has a pleasant uplifting citrus aroma, and tells the many ways you can use it.

The Rose Gold Elixir’s base is rosehip seed oil, which is known as a “dry” oil since it absorbs well into the skin. Rosehip oil is high in linoleic acids, vitamin C, and vitamin A; which are great for our skin! The website points this out and states rosehip “has been found to regenerate tissue and reduce the appearance of fine lines, hyperpigmentation, and stretch marks.”

The website suggests to use the beauty oil as a daily moisturizer or to hydrate your lips before applying lipstick – but be sure it is all absorbed before applying your lipstick. It also suggests to mix the beauty oil with your foundation or to give your beauty sponge a few drops before blending.

I have pretty oily skin so I was a bit skeptical that the beauty oil would not help me out with my make-up or skin; and I was right. I tried the beauty oil every different type of way and still was not pleased.

Pros:

• It smells amazing
  • It is gorgeous with the gold flakes
  • It IS moisturizing

Cons:

•     It makes my face feel like an oil slick x100
  •     it is expensive

I first tried to mix two drops with my foundation, which I applied with a brush. The website did suggest a more matte foundation but I do not think that would have changed how I felt. The finish was nice but nothing different than my foundation without the elixir. Afterwards I was afraid of touching my face anywhere and having it rub off on clothes or look smudged. Then I tried applying my foundation and using my beauty sponge with two drops of the elixir and it felt the same: awful. I used double the amount of oil blotting sheets for these days.

I tried putting the elixir on my lips before my lipstick and was pleased. In almost every Instagram video I have seen with this elixir, I see people using about three drops, which I find to be excessive. I need about one drop for my whole face – let alone my lips. I also tried putting a drop into my Anastasia Brow Pomade which was looking a bit dull and it definitely gave it a kick start for killer brows.

As for using it as a moisturizer… no can do. I knew from mixing it with the make-up that this suggestion would not work. If my face is feeling a little dry, I will put a few drops on my face before bedtime and wake-up with a smooth and moisturized face. I will continue to use the rest of my bottle by using it for my lips, brows, and nighttime moisture but I will not be buying another bottle.

Marymount Manhattan College 2017