The Do’s and Don’ts of Black Friday as Told By a Retail Employee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Black Friday is officially a national holiday. For most, it is a day of running around and buying incredibly discounted gifts while dodging the crazy people out at the crack of dawn. For some of us, it is one of the most anticipated, nerve-wracking days of the year. Those of us who work retail know this day to be one of the longest and most exhausting nights of our year, as Black Friday now typically starts on Thanksgiving night. As you venture to the mall just as the pie plate is cleared, there are a few things to keep in mind, per request of a retail employee.

Do plan ahead.

Most stores have started their sales days in advance. If you are one of the brave shoppers entering the mall tonight, be sure to have a plan of where you want to shop. Most people won’t have a plan of where they’re headed—so if you’re planning on swiping that credit card more than few times tonight, have an idea of what stores you want to venture through. Make a tentative schedule of where and when you’ll be in the stores and the night will be much more relaxed and you’ll hopefully leave with what you came in for.

Don’t lose your cool.

It’s Black Friday. It will be busy. Remember that. So, when you feel tempted to throw shade at 3 a.m. toward the woman in front of you in line at Target, remember that she’s prpbably also been cooking since the crack of dawn on Thursday and she just wants to get the toys for her grandchildren and get home to bed ASAP. Just chill tonight fam.

Do shop for others.

While it’s obviously tempting to shop solely for yourself, try to use tonight and tomorrow as a time to shop for your loved ones and save a little bit of cash during a time when it’s all too easy to blow every bit of credit you have for the month.

Don’t rifle through the piles.

Those of us who spent all week prepping the store front for tonight will absolutely cringe at the sight of an upsidedown pile that could’ve been saved if the customer simply asked for some help finding their size. If you don’t see yours right away, don’t feel shy or ashamed to ask for some help. That is what we’re here for. Just ask and we’ll be more than willing to hunt down that pair of skinny jeans you’re dying to have for the winter season.

Do have fun.

It’s basically still a holiday, especially if you’re shopping on Thursday evening, so remember to enjoy yourself. It’s certainly stressful to shop for family and friends, but it can still be super fun. Invite your friends and invite your siblings. Just remember to smile and enjoy it. Feel free to bring pie to help you ge through the madness. I promise, those of us working would love some sugar to help us through, too.

Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping, peeps! Enjoy yourself and the time with your family and friends! Don’t stress too much if you’re stuck in a line tonight at 3 a.m., just chill and enjoy the evening and the crazy flash sales of the night!

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli