Central Perk Pop-Up: Friends 20th Anniversary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

♪ “I’ll Be There For You!” ♫

A Friends pop up shop in New York City was created in celebration of the sitcom’s twentieth anniversary! The character’s favorite hangout spot on the show – a coffee shop called the ‘Central Perk.’ was replicated on Lafayette Steet in Lower Manhattan. In honor of the show’s legacy; props, memorabilia, and outfits worn by the cast were put on display (including the famous orange couch!) Episodes of the show were played, coffee was being drank and Friends themed merchandise was being purchased. Pictures of the cast and photos from the show were decorated all over the walls.

Friends was a hit sitcom show that ran for ten years! The series starred Jennifer Anniston, Courtney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer. The show created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman quickly became a crowned jewel for Warner Brothers. The theme song “I’ll Be There For You” by The Rembrandts is instantly recognized by fans. Titles of the episodes always start with catchy phrases, beginning with ‘The One With/Where.’ The show was nominated for 62 Primetime Emmy Awards and won six, Jennifer Anniston and Lisa Kudrow each won an Emmy for their roles, it won Outstanding Comedy Series in 2002, a Golden Globe, a GLAAD Media Award, three Logie Awards, six People’s Choice Awards, one Satellite Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.

Each season ratings were through the roof. The show ranked number 21 on TV Guide’s ‘50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time’ and number 7 on Empire Magazine’s ‘50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.’ The show ranked number 24 on the Writers Guild of America’s ‘101 Best Written TV Series of All Time and number 28 on TV Guide’s ‘60’ Best TV Series of All Time.’ It even lead at the top of the Nielsen ratings and was in the top five every year from 1995 to 2004.

Some of the historic artifacts brought in to the SoHo pop up were: Rachel’s sonogram picture, Ursula’s porno that she used Phoebe’s name in, Ross’s Science Boy comic, baby Emma’s nursery crib tag, the famous Geller Cup, and Phoebe’s guitar. Even the wedding vows of Monica and Chandler, their wedding invitation and her engagement ring were on view. The cast signed scripts of the pilot and finale episodes, which were framed on the wall.

Because of the success of the show; there was a soundtrack from the show released, a game themed around the show, a book all about the series, and a party kit that related to things from the show. Friends was so well written, the acting performances were superb, the jokes were funny and the sets felt like home. The characters all feel like family members. The show will live on in the hearts of fans. 10 seasons. 236 episodes. 1994-2004. It has left its mark on the world and will be a legacy forever.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside