books and blazer
books and blazer
Original photo by Hannah Griffee
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Talking about books and sharing them is the second best thing about reading. Whether you’re a casual reader or need to have a good book at all times, these picks won’t let you down.

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

New York lawyer Dannie Kohan has her life all planned out and hasn’t been the slightest bit wrong about the future yet, but one night she gets a glimpse of her life in exactly five years that doesn’t resemble the one in her head. As that date approaches, Dannie grapples with accepting change and wanting to maintain her preexisting perfect plans. 

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid 

After an incident that results from a late night babysitting emergency, 25-year-old college graduate Emira finds herself caught in an obsessive war between her employer, self-branded mother of two Alix Chamberlain, and her bystander turned boyfriend Kelley Copeland. The contrasting perspectives and careful stepping around one another as the plot unfolds makes it hard to look away. 

Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland

There are many reasons why high school senior Henry Page hasn’t had a girlfriend before, he doesn’t like drama and has his eyes on becoming editor of the school newspaper and getting into a good college. That is until a troubled, baggy-clothes wearing Grace Town transfers schools at the beginning of senior year, giving him no choice but to start acting on first drafts of his feelings.

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Following the course of Connell and Marianne’s relationship from teenagers who pretend not to know each other at school but hook up at each other’s houses in the afternoons, to settling into separate social circles at Trinity College, their individual search for security that causes them to veer from person to person throughout the years always leads to back to each other. 

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver 

Longtime best friends Freddie and Lydia were supposed to get married this year, but when Freddie suddenly dies in a car accident, Lydia chooses to slip away to him in her sleep thanks to magic pills she’s been taking rather than face the unbearable reality of life without him. Eventually, she’ll have to say goodbye for good and find something worth staying for. 

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover 

The night of her 22nd birthday turns into a nightmare when Sydney finds out her boyfriend has been cheating on her with her roommate. After losing the two people she trusted the most, Sydney vows to never be the cause of someone’s broken relationship, but moving in with her mesmerizing musician neighbor makes her see how something she knows is wrong can feel right in the moment and makes her long for a time when there would be no repercussions. 

Books are back, pass it along. 

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.