diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips For An Easy Transition Into Fall Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Autumn is the most beautiful, colorful, and easily the most unpredictable season of the year, especially in the northeast. As the weather begins to change, the breeze surely picks up but a step into the beaming sunshine could feel like a step back into summer. The weather remains literally up in the air (even for our trusty weathermen). Unlike the average boy, who will likely rock shorts and a tee until the first snowfall, us girls are left standing in front of our closets, dumbfounded by exactly what will be appropriate (and comfortable) for the day’s weather. I admittedly rely on the inaccurate iPhone apps or simply on holding my hand out of the window and hoping it’s enough exposure to help me get it together for the day. While most will rely on the ease of layers that can either be shed or piled on throughout the day, I find it rather annoying to carry around excess clothing when my predictions are slightly off. Here are five additional ways that I use to turn that sweet summer look into a causal and cute autumnal look:

1. Denim, denim, denim.

Bless the human who was finally successful in the return of the iconic denim jacket and chambray shirt. Seriously, my go-to fix for a summer-to-fall transition—especially when the weather is still fairly warm—is the easy addition of a denim jacket. Feel free to throw one over a cute tank and colored pants or over a tee and leggings with a ball cap for those days when you really don’t feel like you need to impress anyone (tbh this is me most days). In the early weeks of fall you can even get away with wearing your fav sundress with a denim coat and flats and still feel super comfy all day. 

2. Lips redder than cherry coke. 

Obviously you can wear lipstick year round—girl, you do you. But for those of us who laze around all summer avoiding situations that require makeup like the plague, lipstick is a go-to to making any outfit acceptable for the fall. On a warm October day, you definitely can’t whip out your comfy cardigan while walking out the door (unless being drenched in sweat is your thing), but you can throw on a cute black dress—with your denim jacket in hand, of course—and jazz it all up with a bold red lip. If red doesn’t tickle your fancy, then try experimenting with shades of nude or pink! 

3. Throw on some booties, cutie! 

Whether or not we choose to accept it, the weather is going to change and it will begin to cool down as November is upon us. If you’re anything like me, you won’t be able to part with a majority of your summer wardrobe quite yet, especially the dresses. If this is you, I highly recommend investing in a pair of booties. There are seriously so many different styles. Between black, brown, tan, heeled, and flat styles, the possibilities are truly endless. Pair them with your favorite jeans or keep on keeping on with that cute summer dress by throwing on a pair of tights and your favorite cardigan. 

4. Blanket scarves are bae. 

Blanket scarves are actually one of the greatest and most comfortable accessories a girl can own. I mean not much can cheer me up about having to roll out of my warm bed just to walk out into the chilly autumn morning to go to my 8 a.m. class, but a blanket scarf definitely makes it much more bearable. Over the last two years, they have taken over casual fall fashion and are now sold in plaid patterns galore as well as every solid color under the sun. You can probably find one to match every single article of clothing you own, including your favorite baggy sweats. Find one—or a few—that work for you and throw them over your shoulders and wrap up on your way out of the door. The best part? When you get a little toasty sitting next to the radiator—or when the hot guy from down the hall walks into class—you can easily strip it off and stuff it in your bag for easy access for your walk home! I like to pair mine with a cute hat and sunglasses to take on the day, but feel free to play around with how you wear it, around your neck or over your shoulders, etc.

You might surprise yourself with how many outfits you can comfortably transition into fall with these simple fixes. When it’s finally time to layer up—cute jackets come in for the win. Eventually it will become a bit too cold for that denim jacket alone, and it will be time to finally start layering up with the rest of the weather-confused population. My two favorite fall additions to my wardrobe are my army green anorak parka, which is now available at almost every retail store, and my puffer vests. Both can be paired with sweaters and long sleeve tees over jeans or leggings, as well as dresses and tights with riding boots or combat boots. These can both provide plenty of warmth and can definitely highlight your transitioned outfit in a whole new way. Why sacrifice your bank account for a completely revamped wardrobe when there are so many ways to transition out of summer with just a few simple purchases? Sure everything here can be found at absurdly hiked-up prices, but if you’re willing to find a good deal (which I’m assuming you are since you’ve now read this to the end), all it will take is a little research to find the best prices without forgoing your personal, unique style. If all else fails, you can always rely on your fashionable middle school self and throw on some uggs to grab your venti PSL to go. Hopefully there’s enough here to keep you from going back down that road!

Happy fall, y’all!

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli