5 Reasons Why ‘Hocus Pocus’ is the Greatest Halloween Film of all Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

As someone who is from the area of Salem, Massachusetts, the “Witch Capital of New England,” it is impossible for me to not love the 1993 Halloween movie, Hocus Pocus. I am here today to convince you why Hocus Pocus is the best Halloween movie, and why you need to watch it right now! 

Hocus Pocus is the story of Max Denison, a young boy who, not believing Salem’s superstitions about the Salem Witch Trials, accidentally summons three witches. It is up to Max, his sister Dani, and his crush Allison, to save Salem from The Sanderson Sisters.

1. The Sanderson Sisters

The talents of Bette Midler (Winifred), Kathy Najimy (Mary), and Sarah Jessica Parker (Sarah) portraying the Sanderson Sisters, is the greatest joy of the Halloween season. With their goofiness and naiveness coming back from the dead after 300 years, they will have you giggling throughout the entire movie. 

2. The Script

The movie itself is iconic with its quirky and memorable one-liners.

3. “I Put a Spell on You”

One of the most classic Halloween songs is “I Put a Spell on You”. The song comes from the Sanderson Sisters as they cast a spell over a Halloween party. This catchy bop should be played on a loop all throughout the month of October!

4. Max and Dani

At the start of the movie, Max wants nothing to do with Halloween. If it wasn’t for his sister Dani wanting to trick or treat, he would never have lit the black flame candle, and the events of the movie, never would have happened. Although they start out the movie as bickering siblings, by the end they are truly able to get along and appreciate each other.

5. That Halloween Spirit

Even though it may not be as scary as movies like IT or The Shining, this family friendly spooky movie will make you want to put your Halloween decorations up, put on a costume, and go Trick or Treating. You can’t leave the movie feeling anything but excited for the Halloween season! 

Now that you have finished reading this article, what are you doing?! Go put on Hocus Pocus right now!

Hannah is currently a student at Marymount Manhattan College. Whenever she has free time, you can catch her reading lots and lots of books, or bingeing yet another television show. She is a chocolate milk enthusiast and a self proclaimed theatre nerd. Enjoy her articles!
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.