17 Things You Need To Try This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Grab your flannels, pumpkin spice lattes, and uggs – Fall is finally here.

If you’re looking for things to do this season, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s a bucket list of things you should do this fall.

1. Go apple and pumpkin picking.

If you’re having serious FOMO seeing everyone on your Instagram feed taking cute pictures with some apples or pumpkins, grab a friend or your significant other and head over to your nearest farm or orchard! Harbes Orchard in Riverhead, NY offers both apple and pumpkin picking as well as a vineyard, sweet snacks, and a corn maze.

2. Go to a haunted house.

Who wouldn’t want to pay money to get scared out of your pants? Bayville Scream Park in Long Island, New York offers six different haunted attractions, along with an arcade, bar/lounge, and café.

3. Go to a beer festival.

This one is for the beer lovers!

4. Go hiking.

The Fall foliage is an incredible sight to see. Visit the nearest mountain for an unforgettable view of all the beautiful colors this season offers us.

5. Participate in a 5k walk/run.

There’s nothing more rewarding than reaching a finish line. Consider participating in a walk/run for a cause. I participated in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Central Park on October 16th and it was an unforgettable experience!

6. Tailgate at a football game.

Whether it’s college football or the NFL, the best part of a football game is the tailgate! Grab your friends, some beers, and food for your perfect tailgate setup.

7. Make homemade pies.

Put those freshly picked pumpkins and apples to good use- find the best homemade pie recipes on Pinterest!

8. Watch Halloween movies.

Freeform’s “13 Nights of Halloween” lineup will include favorites like Hocus Pocus, The Addams Family, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, and the Halloweentown tetralogy.

9. Carve a pumpkin.

Check out Pinterest’s DIY pumpkin carving ideas! If you’re not sure you are good with a knife, you can also paint your pumpkin- it’s just as cute!

10. Tour a winery.

Before it gets too cold, take a trip to your nearest vineyard with your significant other or a couple of your friends.

11. Make your own Halloween costume.

You don’t have to be a fashion designer to put together a cute Halloween costume! Pinterest offers tons of ideas and pictures on how to make sure your Halloween costume is a hit.

12. Visit an art museum.

Museums are great at any time of the year, but it’s always a good idea to check out the latest exhibits! The Metropolitan Museum of Art is offering a rooftop exhibit by British artist Cornelia Parker called PsychoBarn, inspired by the paintings of Edward Hopper, the classic red barn, and the Bates family’s sinister mansion from Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 film Psycho. You don’t want to miss it- its closing date is October 31st!

13. Go to a sports game.

Take a trip to see your favorite team, or just experience the fun a football, basketball, or hockey game has to offer! If you’re a New York resident, Madison Square Garden is the home of the New York Knicks and New York Rangers.

14. Experience the Village Halloween Parade.

Even though it falls on a Monday night this year, it is something every New Yorker should experience.

15. Take a trip to the Hudson Valley.

The Hudson Valley is one of my personal favorite places to visit in the fall. The scenery is something you don’t want to miss. It’s relaxing and quiet, a great escape from your busy schedule.

16. Volunteer in a soup kitchen.

Find a local soup kitchen to volunteer for as a way of helping others and giving back to your community.

17. See the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

See all the incredible balloons, floats, and talented performers march in the 90th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! Or, if you aren’t a fan of big crowds, you can watch it in the comfort of your own home- in your PJs of course.