This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

1. get some rest

First and foremost, rest. Rest your brain. This is a time to be away from school work. Decompress. To reduce your academic stressors, stop checking Canvas, Slack, GroupMe and MyZou unless it’s absolutely necessary. Turn off your academic notifications and limit your email-viewing time.

At the bare minimum, you should try to get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.

2. bake

If this is part of your holiday tradition, you know what to do. Bake what you bake best: all kinds of cookies, breads, pies, cakes and brownies. I love making spritz cookies, Peanut Butter Blossoms (with Hershey’s Kisses) and banana bread with nuts.

If not, create a new holiday tradition and try out some recipes! Make it a group activity and invite some friends over (unless you prefer being the boss in the kitchen).

3. Go gift shopping

This is another great take-your-friends idea. I bet there’s still a couple of family members or friends on your holiday shopping list. Hit some local shops and malls or stay safe and shop online from your house. Remember to bring a mask and stay mindful in high-traffic areas. Aim to support small businesses during this time of year, too!

4. decorate your house

Pull out all the stops! Lights, trees, plants, wreaths, flowers, ornaments, candles, old elementary school art projects and whatever else puts you in the holiday spirit. Play some Christmas tunes while you work to really get in the winter mood.

5. go ice skating/skiing/snowboarding

Embrace the chill and get your body moving with these classic winter activities. If you’ve never tried one of these, this could be a fun opportunity to learn something new! Make a whole day out of it by visiting a ski resort or ice skating rink. Afterwards, you can take a hot shower and make a warm, hearty dinner together with family or friends.

6. take a day trip

A day trip has so much potential. Do you want serenity and natural landscapes? Go hiking, visit a natural reserve nearby or make a road trip down some scenic routes. Wanting more of a city vibe? Go to a nearby city and explore the culture, restaurants, museums, shops and local landmarks.

While spontaneity has its charm, it’s best to make a plan of what you’d like to do before you venture out. Plan ahead so that you can make the most out of your time. What do you want to see and do? Take some mental notes and reference them as you go to capitalize on your time!

7. host a movie night

Whether you prefer Christmas comedies, classics or cheesy Hallmark rom-coms, winter break is a good time to get together with friends and family to watch (or rewatch) nostalgic holiday movies.

8. look at local decorations

Whip up some cocoa or another hot drink and drive around your neighborhood! Local parks or popular sites in your hometown may put up annual lights displays.

9. build a snowman, if you can

If you have the opportunity to do this, you should! It’s not everyday that we get the right kind of snow and enough of it to build a snowman. Lately, daily temperatures have been pretty warm for December, though, so hopefully this will be possible in the coming months.

Hi there! My name is Katie, and I'm the current editor of Her Campus Mizzou. I'm originally from Macungie, Pennsylvania (go Phillies!) and I'm currently a sophomore at Mizzou studying journalism and political science. I enjoy outdoorsy activities, Spotify playlists, reading, and marveling at the campus squirrels. Journalistic storytelling is a passion of mine, and I would love to be an investigative reporter someday.