This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In a whirlwind start to 2014, Michael Sam has already helped catapult the Tigers to an astounding victory at the Cotton Bowl, has possibly become the first active NFL player to come out and has earned respectable stats at the scouting combine this week. In an effort to encourage Sam to keep up the good work, our staff has compiled messages of support for his courage and tenacity. 

“I’m proud of Michael Sam being brave to reveal who he really is. It really takes a lot of guts to reveal something so “controversial” about yourself, especially when you’re in the public eye.  I’m glad he came out and told the world his sexual orientation because he realized that he couldn’t live a lie, he needed to be a beacon of hope to others that whether you’re gay, bi, straight or lesbian you can still achieve something you want.”

“I see Michael Sam coming out as a great thing. However stating that you’re gay, should never cause this much publicity. Someone’s sexuality should never interest someone so much. I am not sure if it is because of how society views homosexuality or if it because Michael Sam is an athlete. Regardless I am proud that he represents Mizzou, he was a great athlete here and will be a great athlete wherever he is drafted. I wish him nothing but the best!”

“Michael Sam being open about his sexuality was an extremely brave move. I give him major props because we live in a very judgmental society, which makes a lot of people want to hide who they truly are and just stick to the ‘norm.’ Michael Sam is now a role model for those people. He has proven that anyone can achieve their dreams no matter what their sexual orientation happens to be — it isn’t something that holds someone back anymore. He also showed that having society’s approval shouldn’t be an ultimate goal, because society will always have a problem with something. He stepped up and I know he will go far!”

“Michael Sam is brave, and his decision to stand for equality in an unequal culture should be applauded. But, more so than anything else, his decision begs that we ask another question. At what point will being yourself be innately enough?”

“I don’t think that someone’s sexual orientation should be getting this much attention. It is sad that this has to be such a controversial topic that is discussed all over the nation. I think we should just focus on the fact that Michael Sam is a great football player. He has a ton of talent and will definitely be drafted in the NFL. I support Michael Sam and am excited for his future.”

“I believe that people are caring more about his sexual orientation than how well he can play football. The only reason that he should be on the news is due him being a great football player. I think we should only talk about his skills on the field rather than the gender he prefers. He is a terrific player and I hope he has great success in the NFL. I just wish that would be all that the news is talking about, rather than his personal life.”

“Personally, I don’t see why it matters or whose business it is that Michael Sam is gay. Sexual orientation is not a key factor in the game of football, and it certainly shouldn’t be made a big ordeal. I am incredibly proud of his courage, integrity and humble personality. Not only am I proud of him, but I am proud of the Mizzou community for supporting him. He deserves everything he has worked for, and sexual orientation should not be a factor in the NFL draft. Whether he’s white, black, gay, straight, Sam will be successful in his career in the NFL.”