Why ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo’ is a Must-Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

I found myself in a reading slump recently and turned to social media for book recommendations. Across BookTok, I saw several rave reviews for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I was initially apprehensive about picking up this book because I was sure that it couldn’t possibly live up to the hype. However, when I finally started reading, I was quickly proved wrong and I can confidently say that this story is deserving of its high praise. 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a witty, emotional and honest novel that had me hooked from the very first page. It tells the story of the enigmatic Evelyn Hugo, an old Hollywood star who rose to fame in the ’50s and rapidly drew the attention of every celebrity gossip magazine in America. Evelyn’s seven ex-husbands are arguably the most famous aspect of her life and the world doesn’t know much about the real Evelyn outside of these relationships.

When she’s in her 70s, Evelyn decides that it’s finally time for the public to know the truth about her life, so she enlists Monique Grant to write her biography. Monique is an unknown journalist in her 30s and she wonders why Evelyn would recruit her, of all people, to tell her story. This mystery leads to a shocking twist that left me reeling long after I had finished the book. 

The novel switches back and forth between Monique and Evelyn’s perspective, with Monique interviewing Evelyn and Evelyn revealing the sordid details of her glamorous life, from her humble beginnings in Hell’s Kitchen in New York City to her time as a Hollywood A-lister. Finally, Evelyn gains control over the narrative surrounding her life and her story is so raw and captivating that I struggled to put the book down. 

The book is largely about Evelyn’s journey as she grows into a strong woman and talented actress, surmounting numerous obstacles along the way. Initially, Evelyn wasn’t dealt the best hand in life, but she was determined enough to find her way out of a difficult situation and achieve her dreams. Through Evelyn, I learned important lessons, including not being afraid to stand up for what you want. This is a lesson she imparts on Monique as well.

“When you’re given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen,” Evelyn tells Monique. “The world doesn’t give things, you take things.” 

The romantic aspects of the book are poignant and stunningly written, but The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is not a typical love story. Evelyn’s relationships are realistically flawed and painfully human. The tumultuous ups and downs of her romantic life emphasize an overarching theme of the book: love is beautiful but imperfect. The importance of friendship is another theme depicted in this novel. The emotional connection that Evelyn shares with her friends is deeply moving, a celebration of love and the many forms it can take. 

Overall, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is equal parts heart-wrenching and uplifting. Reid has a unique ability to make you feel so much for her characters. I left the book with a greater appreciation for life and all of its good and bad moments. I would give The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo five stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a fast-paced read that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. 

Hi, my name is Olivia Shelton! I'm a freshman at the University of Missouri and an undecided major. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and want to continue to do it throughout college. I think being a part of Her Campus is a great opportunity to improve my writing, be creative, and join a community of women on campus!