Why Coffee is Such an Important Necessity for College Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Let’s face it: college is rough sometimes. There are late nights and early mornings. We have quizzes, papers, projects and exams. It can be overwhelming, and sometimes we just need a little boost of energy. That’s where coffee comes in.

Thee are different legends that try to explain when coffee was discovered, but I think we can all agree that whoever discovered it has done us all a favor. 

Coffee is the perfect pick-me-up when you’re trying to get through the day, or even just to get your day started. With almost 30,000 Starbucks locations worldwide and almost 10,000 Dunkin’ Donuts stores, coffee can be found fairly easily just by driving down the street. And let’s not forget the fact that Starbucks just recently opened a breathtaking four-story location in Tokyo, Japan. Honestly, what more could we ask for?

The average amount of caffeine in an 8 oz. cup of coffee is usually about 95 mg but can vary depending on how you brew your coffee. While coffee can be a lifesaver in some cases, it is important to remember the effects it can have on your body. Having one cup of coffee a day isn’t necessarily an issue, but limiting your intake can help you avoid problems such as anxiety, trouble sleeping, increased blood pressure, and other health issues. After all, caffeine is a type of drug and it isn’t hard for our bodies to become addicted to coffee.

In a world where time is precious and sleep is craved, coffee has been a sort of hero to this generation. If we make sure that we drink coffee in moderation when we truly need it, then we will be able to appreciate more in our lives while also maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Studying to be a journalist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Senior Editor and Writer at Her Campus Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou