Valentine’s Day & The Guy You Have A “Thing” With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

So it’s the time of year when pink and red are everywhere, stuffed bears with the words “Be mine” printed across their chests have invaded Walgreens and PDA has picked up all over campus. Yes, the day is finally here, Valentine’s Day! Whether you’re a romantic or cynic, the way you choose to celebrate this day is up to you. This year is a special Valentine’s Day because you have someone “special” to share it with. They’re not your boyfriend, but you  have a “thing” and want to proclaim it.  You’re not really sure how to celebrate it because he’s not necessarily your boyfriend, but you’re not friend-zoned either, so you need come up with a plan! Here’s some safe ideas for what to do on this special yet complicated day.

1. Get dessert. In our city of Columbia, downtown is full of surprise. I highly recommend “U Knead Sweets” on 808 Cherry St. They have a selection of treats including macaroons, cookies, cakes different types of chocolate, tiramisu (which I highly recommend) and so much more. It’s very low-key so you can have a private moment with your special guy, and it won’t break the bank either

2. Catch a movie. Call me old fashion but I think a great “date” idea is simple and classy. There’s Ragtag Cinema on 10 Hitt Street; it’s super trendy, they have couches and recliners instead of those uncomfortable “normal” movie seats. But, if you’re looking for something more in your budget — as in $1 — there’s Memorial union. At Memorial Union on campus they’re showing the movie “About Time” this Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. The main character (Domhnall Gleeson) learns that he can time travel and decides that his wish is to do something difficult: get a girlfriend. Watch the movie to find out how it goes!

3. Go on a picnic. So, as broke college students, we jump on the occasion to do something cute, but inexpensive. We do live in Columbia, so the weather changes from hour to hour, but with a picnic the great thing about it is that you can do it either inside or out. Near downtown, “Lucky’s Market” just opened so you can find your select items there or if you’re really frugal there’s always Emporium or Dobbs and you can just swipe for meal points!  It’s really not that difficult to set up: you just need a few sandwiches, few glasses of a select drink, a dessert of your choice, a blanket and you can go to town. It’s a really cute idea without being too much. You can sip your lemonade while having a good conversation with your special someone.

4. Dance the night away. If you’re up to something more lively for your Valentine’s Day, in downtown Columbia there’s always “Déjà Vu” and “Quinton’s and Tonic.” “Déjà Vu,” located on 405 Cherry St, doesn’t close until 1 a.m. “Quinton’s and Tonic” is on 124 S. Ninth St. (Corner of Ninth & Locust). If you’re just looking to dance and drink, Déjà Vu is the way to go as they have good DJs and cheap drinks. If you’re still looking for a club vibe, but still might want to eat, “Tonic” has a dance club (featured below) but” Quinton’s,” located in the complex, has a bar and grill. Quinton’s itself is known for being a classy place to have a good time with great food, it closes at 1 a.m. on weekends. 

From chicago, Illinois she's finding that being a cubs fan is a rarity. After changing her major a dozen times she's decided on Special Education and Psychology.Her hobbies include; working on her book(if she ever finishes it)crafting, playing her violin, religiously watching reruns of How I met Your Mother and loving Phi Lamb
HC Contributer Mizzou