V-Day Gifts For (And From) Your Guy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You’ve already probably started to see it around. The heart-shaped chocolate boxes, the red rose bouquets. Valentine’s Day has no shortage of merchandise. If you’re planning on getting gifts for V-day, it can be quite a struggle to decide exactly which gift is right to give. There are so many options, most of them are ridden with cliché. Finally settling on the appropriate gift for your valentine is tough. Thankfully, Her Campus is here to help you out! Here are some great gift ideas for either a serious boyfriend, a steady date, or maybe someone newer, and a list of gifts you definitely want to stay away from. 

Serious Boyfriend: You and your guy have been dating for a while, and you’ve done all the typical gifts. Try to be a little creative this year. While this can sometimes be risky, if you use what you know about your man, you can give him something he really appreciates. Get him a gift that is personalized towards your relationship; it doesn’t matter how expensive it is, as long as it works. For example, if he is really into music or sports, get tickets to a concert or the game. Spending time together, especially if it’s while doing something he’s into, will show him how much you care. Shopping at his favorite store, or getting him something he’s really needed is good too. Guys are much more practical than girls and like useful gifts, like the headphones he needs replaced, rather than the pretty but disposable flowers we like receiving. If you’re really stumped on what to get him, make his favorite meal and set up a little romantic dinner date at your place. Or bake him a sweet treat if you know he has a sweet tooth! It will really impress him that you made such an effort, and let’s be honest. The easiest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

Recipes

• Valentine’s Breakfast: This is like the cutest idea for valentine’s breakfast, especially if you like bacon.
  • Valentine’s Pizza: If he likes to participate in making the meal, here is a great recipe for homemade pizza you can make together! You can even make the pizza in a heart shape if you’re feeling super cheesy.

Steady Boyfriend: You know you need to get your valentine a gift, but the stakes aren’t so high. Your relationship is still developing and you don’t want a gift that says too much. Get him something light-hearted and fun that still enhances your connection. A coupon book filled with personalized tickets for something special, such as a 10-minute back massage, or a night out on your tab, will be valuable to him without too much strain on your pocketbook.

“I would love for a girl to pay for dinner,” answers freshman Ian Boyett, “just for a night, it would be a nice change of pace.”

You also can’t go wrong with lingerie, which is really a gift for you! A pretty new bra and pantie combo will set the mood for the night, and make you feel hot and confident as well. 

Causal Date: If you haven’t been dating long and you don’t want to push the boundary too much, there are still a few safe gifts you could give. Every guy needs a pair of heart-patterned boxers, and few probably already own a pair. They also have comedic value, which keeps the gift giving low-pressured. You’ll have him thinking of you every time he wears them, and trust me he will. With a college guy’s laundry habits, your gift will definitely make it into the rotation. If you aren’t feeling the boxers, pick up a bag of his favorite candy or his favorite drink. He will appreciate the gesture, especially because it shows that you know what he likes. Lastly, you can always use a Hershey kiss to create a romantic gift. Give your valentine a single Hershey kiss and a peck on the cheek. After he thanks you, give him the rest of the bag of kisses, saying, “There are a lot more where that came from!” Cheesy, but still pretty adorable.  

Things You Should NOT Give a Valentine

• A gift card: Come on, you can do better than that. This isn’t his birthday; you have to be a little romantic! Throwing money his way is nice, but not as thoughtful as another gift.
  • Cologne: while this may have sensual aspects to it, really it says: “you smell bad.” And you don’t want to offend your valentine.
  • Anything you might want to receive (chocolates, flowers, teddy bear, etc.): These gifts are a) cliché and b) emasculating. If you can’t see him showing off your gift to his buddies or at least bragging about it, it’s probably not something he really wants. 

Do you have any out-of-the-box gift ideas to share with your fellow collegiettes?  Share them with us in the comment box below!

Photo Credits:

refinery29.com – marthastewart.com – wackypackages.com – flowers-magazine.com – livingthecollegelife.com

Freshman J-school student at University of Missouri. Originally from Atlanta, Georgia and a southern girl at heart.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.