Toby Callaway: War Veteran Plays Saxophone on Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Most kids have a hard enough time adjusting to college but imagine how hard it is for someone coming back from a war. Toby Callaway is a veteran of the war in Iraq, and he had to deal with just that. A senior majoring in interdisciplinary studies, Callaway is still involved in the military as a saxophonist for the U.S. Air Forces Central Command band Sidewinder. The group just finished a two-month tour of southeast Asia, including a stop in Afghanistan, to boost troop morale. Callway graduates in May and hopes to run his own fantasy sports business.

Her Campus Mizzou: What inspired you to enlist in the military?
Toby Callaway: I originally enlisted in the Marines because I was bored. I wasn’t interested in school. I wanted to travel. I wanted to play music. I wanted to serve my country. Nothing tangible inspired me to join. It was more of the unknown future of my life that attracted me to leave everything behind and to serve.

HCM: Was it difficult to adjust to college life after spending four years in the service?
TC: It was not too difficult because I knew that college was the way to become more successful. The most difficult things have been the maturity level of some students and the difference in life experience. There have been times when I wanted to say something to other students for being disrespectful to the class and the teacher, but I hold myself back after I see that half the class is either chatting, texting or on Facebook. That does not happen when an instructor is talking in the military. It is also difficult to see my classmates from high school with careers, while I am still in college. Even though I was in the military first, I feel behind because my old friends have jobs, houses and families.

HCM: Why did you decide to play the saxophone?
TC: I picked the saxophone when I was in fifth grade because everybody else picked drums, and I wanted to be different. In fifth grade you are judged by what instrument you pick, so I picked the saxophone to be cool.

HCM: During your time in the Marine Corps, did you ever get to attend performances by other Air National Guard bands?
TC: I did not get to attend any concerts while I was in the military, but I did see the Scott Air Force Band before I joined the military. I thought it would be cool to get paid to play the saxophone for a living.

HCM: What’s in the future for Sidewinder? An appearance on Good Morning America? Perhaps a Las Vegas tour?
TC: Sidewinder will continue playing various military functions to fulfill the military mission, but our next civilian performance will air November 23. We’re going on Entertainment Tonight in L.A. to help support military families through a new program called “Joining Forces.”

HCM: What kind of music gets the best response from the troops?
TC: Because we only get to meet once or twice a month, we play all cover songs. We do our own arranging of the songs, so they might be a little different from the originals. We get the biggest response out of the crowd during our cowbell medley. We put three or four songs together into a medley, and they all have to do with the cowbell. We put the Saturday Night Live Christopher Walken/Will Farrell/Blue Öyster Cult skit in the middle of the medley. We get audience members to come up on stage and play the cowbells with us during the medley. The junior troops love to see their commanding officer pulled up on stage to play the cowbells in front of their troops!

HCM: What is the most rewarding experience you have had as a part of the United States Military?
TC: The most rewarding experience I have from being in the military was when I graduated boot camp at the Marine Corps Recruit Training Depot in San Diego. My parents and grandparents flew from Iowa to watch me graduate after 13 weeks of Marine Corps Boot Camp. They were so proud of me that they were crying when I was on the parade deck waiting to be dismissed from initial training. I will never forget how happy my family looked to see me become a Marine.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!