Things to Do at Midnight on New Year’s Eve That Don’t Involve Kissing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

1. Find the nearest snack 

What better way to verify your single-ness than shoving your mouth with chips and buffalo chicken dip at midnight. It is a metaphor for loving yourself first … or at least that is what I tell myself. 

2. High-five someone near you 

Even if it is the person you came to kiss, catch them off guard with an awkward high-five that will later become a conversational topic. It will be sure to make a great story someday when the embarrassment wears off. 

3. Find someone who looks even more uncomfortable with the approaching hour than you do 

Ask them what it is like being so noticeably uncomfortable in a room full of people. Maybe by the time midnight comes around, they will want to kiss you because of your straightforward, undeniable charm. 

4. Find the nearest animal 

Cross your fingers there is a dog at the party.

5. Pretend to be on the phone 

Hold your phone up to your face, and be convincing—being caught in the act of faking a phone call can be quite embarrassing (speaking from personal experience.) 

6. Do something alarming at midnight so that one moment will pass without anyone kissing due to chaos that hopefully ensues

One of my personal favorites is yelling uncontrollably. A good one is saying, “watch this” and then seeing what you can come up with on the spot. A good challenge always makes the night better. 

7. Nothing

This might be the easiest option. Kissing someone at midnight is not necessarily something you have to do. New Year’s Eve is about having a good time. One minute that has an odd tradition tacked to it does not have to be stressful. 

Everyone have a great New Year’s Eve, and make it as exciting as possible (kissed or not kissed.) 

HC Contributer Mizzou