This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you are anything like me, you come alive in the warm weather and thrive with longer days. It’s time to break out of that seasonal depression and see that the semester is already halfway over. Daylight savings time just began, signifying that spring is just around the corner, whether that silly groundhog says so or not. 

As someone who was a freshman when the pandemic sent college students home on an extended spring break, I have never had a true spring semester in town. This is the first year where there are actually activities and events to go to on and off-campus. 

Now that spring is in full swing, I have a list of places I want to go and activities I want to try. Whether you have a lot of time or just a couple of hours, here are a few new activities you should try as the weather warms up.

Go buy flowers!

Spring is the best time to buy a new plant and liven up any room. Greenery and bright colors are the perfect addition to accent the longer days. Columbia, Mo., has plenty of plant nurseries to discover. From Helmi’s Gardens to Strawberry Hill Farms to Giving Gardens, you are sure to find something you love! Plus, many nurseries have animals that roam around to make the experience even more enjoyable.

And if you don’t have the greenest thumb, just go and visit! If photography is more your style, Columbia has a sunflower field at South Farm that is open to the public. Or, you could even plan a day trip to Centralia and visit Battlefield Lavender, where you can explore more than 2,400 plants and 14 varieties of lavender. There are 1.3 miles of lavender rows and you can also check out the drying barn and shop.

Go on a walk or a hike!

Grab a group of friends or your dog and go explore the many trails and paths around Columbia. A few of the best places include the MKT Nature and Fitness Trail and Capen Park, but if you already have been to those, Columbia created the COMO Trails app to provide the functionality to explore the Columbia Trail System.

My favorite so far is hiking to the Devil’s Icebox at Rock Bridge Memorial State Park!

While you’re outdoors, go check out the First Friday Art Walks or visit the local farmer’s markets!

The North Village Art District is home to many events, more than 100 artists and studios, music and live performance venues, cafes and so much more! Each month on the first Friday, the district hosts an art walk to showcase galleries, shops and businesses. 

If you are wanting to continue shopping local, visit the Columbia Farmers Market at Agriculture Park. As the weather warms up, more and more vendors will line the hall with all sorts of fresh produce, bread, meats or crafts.  

Last but not least, go sit on any of the numerous patios Columbia has!

As the weather warms up, patios all around town will be packed and obtaining a spot on one might be tricky. If you’re lucky and manage to find a table, a few of my favorites are D. Rowe’s, Las Margaritas and any coffee shop downtown.

With many opportunities in Columbia and close by, you can make the most of your downtime in between classes. So before it becomes too hot and humid, choose something you have been wanting to do that’s on your bucket list!

Trinidy is a Senior at Mizzou studying Journalism and German. She loves journaling, cooking, and traveling. Trinidy has a terrible coffee and ice cream addictions, but it could be worse!