This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

A time of high stress and low confidence for many, finals week can be a difficult time to mentally center oneself. Here are some ways, self-care style, to ease the pain of the seven day, rapid-fire exam stint:

1. Figure out your studying style–and stick to it.

Everyone’s mind works differently. Test varying types of study schedules, lengths of time, times of day, and environments to decipher the sweetest spot of each factor for you. Once you find it, treat it like a sacred routine.

2. Don’t be influenced by others’ studying preferences.

Study groups are fun, but do they help your productivity? Although many studies show the benefits of group studying, some work more effectively alone. Determine what works best for you: don’t be afraid to express your need to tackle the material solo.

3. Reward yourself along the way.

Chocolate? A face mask? A phone call to an old friend? All pretty tempting rewards, I’d say. Dangle a treat for yourself in front of a stretch of study time, and promise yourself the treat at a certain time or after a certain accomplishment. It’ll not only help you through the study session; it’ll help build your self-discipline and self-trust.

4. Don’t forget to live.

You are not a robot. You are a human, and you need coffee breaks and time to re-humanize after hours of hitting the books. Schedule time in between and throughout your grind time to clear your head and tune back into the world for a little while.

5. Create structure for each day.

Without the steady rhythm of class schedules, many tend to grow lenient with their time. At the beginning of each day, take a minute to type or write out a rough outline of what you would like to accomplish for the day. Then, give each item a designated amount of time, and plan your day hour for hour. Write in times for breaks, meals, and rewards.

6. Take it seriously…

Your grades in college do matter, and you’re preparing yourself for work ethic in the real world, but…

7. … But don’t take yourself too seriously :)

Remember that it is certainly important to believe in yourself and your abilities; however, try not to get so bogged down with your studies that they are encroaching on your mental, physical, or emotional health. Work hard and remain optimistic!  

Hi :) My name is Lizzy Joslyn, and I'm a sophomore studying journalism at Mizzou.