This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Winter, especially in the midwestern’s cold and windy climate, can make skin even more difficult to manage than usual. In order to gather some skin care recommendations and advice, I consulted my mother, Joni Sago, a board-certified dermatologist with 20 years of practicing experience.

Winter Skin care

In terms of winter skin care, Sago had a few different recommendations for keeping your skin moisturized and even. 

“The most important thing is not to strip the natural oils from your skin,” Sago said. “Soap will emulsify oils, lift them away and allow them to rinse off. I would recommend soaps that don’t bubble, as bubbling indicates a detergent.”

She specifically recommends CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and Atoderm Cleansing Oil for full-body use during the winter but said that any non-bubbling cleanser would work. She also recommended gentle towel drying and colder showers to maintain the skin’s natural oils. 

“Imagine you’re washing a greasy dish; it certainly washes off better with hot water,” Sago said. “Our natural oils behave the same way. Try not to keep the water blazingly hot and just barely pat dry.” 

After the shower, she recommends the thickest and most occlusive moisturizer you can tolerate. 

“You really can’t beat Vaseline,” Sago said.

She also suggested CeraVe Moisturizing Cream

Common Concerns

According to a PubMed study on university-age students, the most common skin disease recorded in young adults is acne. Mizzou students that I know typically express concerns about redness, dryness and wrinkling. 

For acne, Sago recommends the Oil-Free Acne Cleanser from the skin care brand AcneFree. She also recommends Differin Gel and Acnomel as a spot treatment. 

For redness, she recommends adding more hydrating products to your skin care routine; specifically, Eucerine Redness Relief Gel and CeraVe PM. She said that products with niacinamide will help reduce redness across the board.

For year-round dryness, she stuck with her winter skincare recommendations, CeraVe Moisturizing Cream and Vaseline. When looking for a moisturizer, she said to look for tubs and jars as opposed to pumps, which she said contain too much water.

Though wrinkling may not be a present concern for college students, many worry about developing signs of aging down the line. To set yourself up for skin success in the future, she suggests using retinoids like Differin Gel. She also recommends daily sunscreen, especially mineral-based sunscreen. 

To slug or not to slug?

TikTok has become a hub for skin care information and trends, but with recommendations changing by the second, it can be hard to sort out which trends are worth trying and which might harm your skin. The “slugging” trend involves using hydrating products like hyaluronic acid and moisturizer under a thin layer of a petroleum-based product, like Vaseline or Aquaphor. Influencers on social media typically suggest wearing this solution overnight, every night.

Sago endorses this idea. 

“I think that’s fabulous, but there’s only so much water that normal skin will absorb,” Sago said. “It has an intrinsic regulatory mechanism.”  

However, Sago also suggests that the benefits of slugging could be still achieved with a much shorter wear time.

“If you have dermatitis or just winter dry skin, and you could put that on for just 20 minutes, I have no argument with that,” Sago said. “If you can stand it overnight and it’s not ruining your pillowcase, I have no argument with that. There’s not much data.” 

Getting your best Botox

With lip flips and baby Botox being all the rage, Botox injections are having their 15 minutes of fame. For the best results, Sago recommends seeing a medical doctor as opposed to a nurse practitioner. 

“It’s not rocket science, but there is a technique to it so that you don’t look frozen,” Sago said. “The best Botox provider is someone who is going to have a really in-depth knowledge of facial anatomy. Dermatologists aren’t the only ones who have mastery of that… ear, nose and throat physicians, plastic surgeons and dentists are all great options.”

But do these procedures actually work? 

Yes, she said. She points to a wealth of anecdotal data, which suggests that beginning Botox early may stop the formation of deep creases, which will cost more to cover up in the long run.

Sago also highlighted some social and cultural concerns about these types of procedures. She pointed out that Botox, especially poorly-done Botox, can hurt your ability to reflect the emotions of others. This can put a strain on relationships. She advises those in caregiving professions (i.e., nursing and teaching) to approach Botox with care.

“If you’re in a career path where emotional registry is needed, I was trained to be very cautious about Botox in those sorts of people,” Sago said. 

Additionally, she pointed out that procedures involving Botox may be inaccessible to some. Widespread use of Botox specifically may highlight economic disparity, as these procedures can be expensive.

Overall, her biggest recommendation was to listen to your skin and adjust your routine accordingly. If concerns don’t go away, her advice is to see a dermatologist, especially if skin problems persist over long periods or are significantly uncomfortable. Skin problems can be an indication of larger bodily issues, making it a useful tool to monitor your overall health.

Anna Sago

Mizzou '25

Hi, I'm Anna :). I'm a sophomore at Mizzou originally from Northeast TN. I'm a journalism major with minors in information tech and art history. I love to write about music, movies and fashion. In my spare time, I like to run and hang out with my cats!