Serious star power: ‘The Masked Singer’ season 4 cast is the strongest yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

While we all mask up, so are the secret contestants on Fox’s The Masked Singer. The singing competition hosted by Nick Cannon and celebrity panelists Ken Jeong, Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg, Nicole Scherzinger, and Robin Thicke has taken America by storm. With so many surprises and a high energy panel, viewers are always in for a laugh. I started watching the show with family and couldn’t be more excited when I found out my roommate was also a big fan. We watched the second and third season together following along with the rest of America trying to solve the mystery of who is that.

Each season features all sorts of celebrities singing covers of songs while wearing head-to-toe costumes and face masks that hide their identities. Panelists are given various clues alluding to the celebrities’ identities to guess who they could be after each performs. At the end of each episode, the panelists and an audience vote for their favorite singer, and the least popular is eliminated, taking off their mask to reveal their identity. 

The first three seasons have been full of surprises, from T-Pain as “Monster” to Wayne Brady as “Fox” to Rob Gronkowski as “White Tiger.” Each season has outdone the one before and I believe that season 4 has the biggest celebrities and surprises yet.

According to Fox, the season 4 celebrity contestants combined have sold more than 281 million records worldwide, appeared in more than 5,475 episodes of television and 151 films, appeared in five Super Bowls, and have four stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, plus one appearance on Time’s list of 100 most influential people. They also have 46 Grammy nominations and 23 platinum records, and there are 10 hall of famers and one Olympic gold medalist in the bunch.

Three of the 16 masks have been unmasked. Here are some clues on who is who, and who people think they are.

Group A:

Dragon – *Revealed* Popular guesses were Busta Rhymes and the first reveal was Busta Rhymes!

Clues: “I’ve also always been a creative type, so I guess I’m kind of an Imagine Dragon” and “If you want a hot clue to finding my identity, just look into stocks and bonds,” as we see a stock market chart.

Sun – Popular guesses include Demi Lovato, Christina Aguilera, LeAnn Rimes.

Clues: “I’m the Sun because I love to light up the world around me. We’ve all had periods of darkness, but my powerful rays have been known to break through the clouds” and “If you’re trying to figure out who I am, here’s a hint. This sun knows how to shine like a torch, even during the freezing winter. America, my identity will never dawn on you.”

Popcorn – Popular guesses include Tina Turner, Mary J. Blige, Macy Gray, Cyndi Lauper.

Clues: “Jet setting to exotic places with royalty,” She takes a spin on a “Proud Mary-Go-Round,” and “Straight up, I built a career around love. But that doesn’t mean I’m soft. I’m a hard corn husk-ler.”

Giraffe – *Revealed* Popular guesses included Dwyane Wade, Hamilton’s Christopher Jackson, Travis Barker, or Payton Manning and the third reveal was Brian Austin Green.

Clues: “’If you’re looking for a hint to my identity, you should know that I share something in common with a powerful giant,” and we see him as a giant giraffe walking through a city as people flee” and “Music is in my blood, but when I stuck my neck out and took a gigantic risk, I became the butt of everyone’s jokes.”

Snow Owls – Popular guesses include Chip and Joanna Gaines, Nick and Vanessa Lachey, Carlos and Alexa PenaVega, and Clint Black and Lisa Hartman Black.

Clues: “We’re here because performing on stage with someone else is always twice as nice. We’re on our hands and knees hoping for victory. After all, we are birds of ‘Pray'” and Says they were in Hollywood together, and that they love Christmas.

Group B:

Gremlin – *Revealed* No guesses were really able to be thrown around since Gremlin unmasked himself to be Mickey Rourke.

Clues: “I’m the Gremlin because life can be chaotic, so you always have to make time for play. And who’s more playful than a gremlin?” and “Despite my checkered history, I can actually be quite charming. A true romantic.”

Seahorse – Popular guesses include Zoe Kravitz, Victoria Justice, Hailee Steinfeld.

Clues: The Seahorse has a Wild West-themed clue package, outside the “O.K. Coral,” “Here, I get a chance to stop playing tug of war with myself, and finally expose the dauntless diva within,” and “You may call me melodramatic, but at times I’ve felt lost in this world.”

Serpent – Popular guesses include Leslie Odom Jr., John Legend, Christopher Jackson.

Clues: If you want to know how I instantly appeared, here’s the prescription number to my identity.” We see a prescription bottle with the number #31118.

Whatchamacallit – Popular guesses include Tyler the Creator, Dame Lillard, Travie McCoy, Swizz Beatz.

Clues: “Some might say that my career had a magical start,” while we see someone holding an Ace of Spades that bursts into smoke.

Crocodile – Popular guesses include Nick Carter and Greg Louganis.

Clues: “Becoming the crocodile was a natural selection, because I’m happiest in the water” and He’s in a restaurant, and on the table is a pineapple filled with fish and an Italian flag.

Baby Alien – Popular guesses include Freddie Prinze Jr. and Alan Ruck.

Clues: “When I was in the cream of the crop circle, I was in a theater every week,”  “He’s been on the Tony Awards stage,” and there was a Ninja Turtles reference.

Group C:

We have yet to see any performances from the last group, but the clue packages still have me thinking…

Jellyfish – Clue: “Burrr! I assure you that even though I may be cold-blooded, I have a warm and glowing flow with H20.”

Broccoli – Clue: “I’m a brocco-lean, mean, heart-pumping machine. After all, it’s how I got my six-pack.”

Mushroom – Clue: “Mushrooms are resilient and thrive in all circumstances. Being here has made me realize this show is fertile ground to explore another side of yourself.”

Squiggly Monster – Clue: “It’s very fitting that I have so many appendages. After all, I’m known for having a lot of hands to latch onto.”

Lips – Clue: “If you want a hint about me, I own who I am. I know that my voice can go high, but my dishes go deep.”

Trinidy is a Senior at Mizzou studying Journalism and German. She loves journaling, cooking, and traveling. Trinidy has a terrible coffee and ice cream addictions, but it could be worse!
HC Contributer Mizzou