Quick Tips For Eating Healthy At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Don’t want to gain the notorious Freshmen 15 but are constantly being tempted by delicious dorm food? I mean, who doesn’t love Mark Twain’s pizza or Baja’s nachos? (We know, the struggle is real.) So, Her Campus Mizzou has put together some simple and healthy tips to avoid gaining weight.

1. Start your day by eating a healthy and hearty breakfast.
  2. Have a vegetable and a protein with every meal.
  3. Portion control, portion control, portion control.
  4. DRINK WATER.

Although it can be difficult, eating healthy is essential to feeling good and keeping the extra 15 off! It all starts with a whole and hearty breakfast. Those pancakes, bacon, biscuits and gravy can be extremely tempting, but there are other options in the dining halls. For example, you can try:

•   Yogurt with berries

•   A piece of whole wheat toast and an egg

•   Special K cereal and a banana

•   Oatmeal and an apple

Lunch and dinner can also be a challenge, especially with the dessert bar staring at you. Carbs may taste delicious, but they wear you down and make you feel groggy, not to mention are not as healthy of an option for you. It is important to eat a vegetable and a protein with these meals to help you finish the day strong. For example, try:

•   A hamburger without the bun, grapes, and carrots with ranch

•   Tortilla, chicken, and vegetables

•   A salad (you can never go wrong with a salad) with grilled chicken

There are plenty of options in the dining halls, you just have to be creative! That is to say, everything can be healthy when subtracting the unnecessary carb and adding a veggie. Try spicing your salad up with crunchy toppings and a light dressing.

At the end of the day, just remember that it doesn’t hurt to eat a cookie every once in a blue moon. Everything is fine in moderation. If you feel you deserve an ice cream cone after a long week of exams, eat that ice cream cone! Always keep portion control in the back of your mind. Your protein portion should be the size of your palm, vegetable portion the size of your fist and carb portion the size of the circle your fingers make when touching your thumb.  

The most essential part of maintaining a healthy diet is to drink water. A lot of times, our body mistakes dehydration for hunger. Taking a few sips of water can help keep the hunger pangs away, especially during class! It is also extremely important to drink water in this blazing, uncomfortable and horrible heat. (Sorry, I just really want fall!) An easy way to stay hydrated is to purchase a Mizzou reusable water bottle at the bookstore and fill it up every time you eat in the dining hall.

Eating right in the dining halls will not only prevent you from gaining the Freshman 15, but also make you feel better on the inside and out!

HC Contributer Mizzou