This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Everyone has that week where it seems like every professor you have is dumping all their projects, essays, and readings on you at once. From Monday to Friday, it is a race to the finish line, with your planner filled to the max. Staying until close at Ellis is a sad reality, Red Bull is a necessity, and sleep becomes a mere concept. I like to define these academically jam packed weeks as a “Hell Week.” As a freshman, I barely had hell weeks in high school. So coming to Mizzou in August, I came readily prepared and well supplied with what I thought would be the keys to a successful all nighter. This past week was a personal Hell Week and I was able to put my theories and supplies to the test on a Thursday night to see what really works and doesn’t work for those classic all-nighters.

Who: Alex Gentile, exhausted college freshman (aka, me!)

What: Editing an Ancient World paper, taking notes for three chapters of Honors Economics, two online Psychology essays and a quiz, and three chapters of History American Journalism notes.

Where: Ellis Library (#clubellis) and Schurz Hall.

Why: Week-long procrastination and next week’s homework because long distance boyfriend will be in town (cue: aww)

How: Emporium Café cookies, two sugar-free Red Bulls, Pink Lemonade 5-Hour Energy, a bag of almonds, and two apples. 

8:00 p.m: Headed to Ellis Library post workout. Backpack and determination are in tow.

8:20 p.m: Settled in back corner of Ellis Library. Conspicuously setting out my all-nighter feast while receiving many concerned and dirty looks from upperclassmen.

8:30 p.m: Hitting the Ancient World paper first. Stuffing two cookies in my mouth at once as I quickly type.

9:15 p.m: Sugar high from cookies crashes, hard. To regain speed, I down a Red Bull to recover.

9:40 p.m: Finished editing the essay. Slightly jittery, very bored, yet sill determined. Taking a 10 minute break to watch BuzzFeed cooking videos.

9:50 p.m: Back in the game. Now craving s’mores dip (thanks BuzzFeed), will settle for two more cookies. Economics notes next up. 

11:20 p.m: An empty cookie bag, another Red Bull and two apples later, Econ has been completed. #GodBless

11:30 p.m: Another 10 minute break is completed, no BuzzFeed cooking video this time. Only cute corgi videos. Two psychology essays have been started and handful of almonds consumed. 

1:10 a.m: Two essays completed. Getting the urge to camp out and sleep at the library. Packing up what is left on the feast to head back to Schurz for the night (or morning?)

1:30 a.m: 5-Hour Energy consumed, feeling more alert than I had in the preceding 8 hours. On to psychology quiz.

2:00 a.m: Quiz completed. Reading has been started. No sign of exhaustion. Whaaat?

3:00 a.m: Notes have been started, refresh with some ice water. An hour and a half after the 5-Hour Energy, no signs of drowsiness or fatigue. 

4:00 a.m: Notes completed, homework completed. Finally hit the finish line, but cannot sleep. This stuff really works! First class is in eight hours. 

So what did I gain from this experience? Stay away from processed sugars and eat natural sugars and protein. They will keep you up longer and your focus will be sharper. As for 5-Hour Energy, don’t underestimate it. It will actually keep you up for five hours. Only drawback? I crashed around 7:00 a.m, but luckily got to sleep until noon, right before my first class. So be careful if you’re set to crash before your first class, especially if its an exam. 

Desperate for some help to get through your next all nighter? Head straight to Walgreens, Target, CVS, or any other supermarket to purchase a 5-Hour Energy and we promise you’ll make it through the night!

HC Contributer Mizzou