An Open Letter to Open Letters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

So, tell me, do you feel fulfillment from comforting young adults on the internet with terrible, toxic advice, or do you just love the sound of your own voice?

Listen, I was 14 once. I get it.

Girls are catty, bodies are awkward, boys are mean, and I’m still trying to find my place in this world, too, but you can’t just tell everyone they’re the victim. Hear me out. You’re there for the girl who is throwing her phone at the wall because of The Girl Who Ruined My Life, but you’re also comforting The Girl Who Fell In Love With a Taken Man. You talk to the girl who is waiting for a ring from The Boy Who Is Too Afraid To Love Me, but you tell The Boy Who Can’t Express His Emotions that he should feel sorry for himself. Do you see the dilemma?

Not everybody can be a victim. For every victim you comfort, you vilify another. You aren’t really comforting anybody. You’re just spreading a lot of blind animosity. The answer to healing your tattered soul is not resentment and self-pity but, rather, understanding and compromise. You see, ten years ago when we got upset and threw a tantrum, we’d type a fake letter to The Boss Who Doesn’t Let Me Take Vacation Days, and we would never send it.

Anonymity has you convinced that your posts don’t hurt anybody because they’re indirect, but all anonymity does is stop cyber bullies from feeling guilt. Ask yourself, “Why all the hate?”

We could just build each other up instead of tearing ourselves down.

I’m not asking for much.

Maybe, next time, instead of, “Mama needs a mimosa,” we could try “Mama needs a minute to get her thoughts in order.”

HC Contributer Mizzou