No Cardboard Box Necessary: A Guide to Affordable Living in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You’ve spent countless hours enhancing your résumé. You’ve thrown out idea after idea in search of the perfect design for your portfolio. You’ve contacted so many employers that you probably called and e-mailed every person in the New York City Yellow Pages. All of this work finally pays off when you receive your first internship. Sure, you might be working for a multi-million dollar agency under bank-making bosses, but, as an intern, you’ll be lucky if your stipend pays for a chai tea latte or a pretzel from the vendors on 5th Avenue.

With high rent prices — more like high everything prices — living in NYC could intimidate you and your bank account to the point of you sleeping under the stars in Central Park. Don’t fret. While rent prices in the Concrete Jungle may soar as high as the Condé Nast building itself, more affordable alternatives do exist.

The Webster
Location: 419 W. 34th St. (34th & 9th)
Rate: $272-302 per week ($302 is for full-time working women)
Furnished: Yes
Website: http://www.websterapartments.org/

If you’ve ever thought that finding an affordable apartment in the Midtown area was impossible, think again. The Webster is a prime location for women (yes, only women) to live. For around $1,000 per month, ladies living in these private, fully-furnished rooms will enjoy daily maid service, community bathrooms (with private showers) a computer lab with printers and Webster-provided linens, which are cleaned weekly.

The Webster won’t let any of its tenants go hungry. Rent includes two meals each day. Grab breakfast on your way to work, and dine after a long day at the office. If you can’t make dinner, however, you can fill out a form to have lunch as an alternative. This meal plan takes some of the stress away from unpaid interns trying to ration their $20-per-day stipend. With all of these perks and the Empire State Building in its backyard, you’d be silly not to choose The Webster.

Brooklyn
Location: Lower East Side
Price: Varies (anywhere from $700 per month and up)
Furnished: Varies
Website: Craigslist or local apartment sites

An up-and-coming borough for lower-priced housing (and the hippest hipsters), Brooklyn allows residents and visitors to have the peace and quiet of a more residential area just outside the rush of the city. Brooklyn apartments are ultra-artsy and have almost an upscale Mizzou East Campus feel. Prices begin around $700 per month and average around $1,000 per month for one bedroom — some furnished, some not. The only downfall to living in Brooklyn is the distance from all the action of Manhattan. But take the good with the bad. Brooklyn is immersed in strong art, music and cultural scenes. Brave a walk on the Brooklyn Bridge to work every morning to stay in shape or catch the train uptown when you need to work (or play). Though it’s not in the heart of the Concrete Jungle, Brooklyn will give you a new perspective on New York and a completely different experience of city living.

Jersey City
Location: Lower West Side (in New Jersey)
Price: Varies; average of $600 – $1,100 per month
Furnished: Varies

New Yorkers may seem to hold a continuous grudge against the “shore rats” from Joy-zee, but don’t let that hold you back from good, quality living within walking distance from the beach. Sure, you may catch some playful words from your employer, but you’ll save considerably. Jersey City is situated along the coast of New Jersey, which borders the Lower West Side of NYC. One of the perks of living in Jersey while working in Manhattan is the transportation. Technically, you’re living in a different state, but shuttles and subways go into Manhattan from Jersey City on a regular schedule (total time from the center of J.C. to Times Square takes an estimated 50 minutes).

It’s no Manhattan, but if you play your cards right, it’s about half the price for twice the space. A standard apartment in Jersey City can set you back about $800 per month, but that’s not saying cheaper alternatives don’t exist. Scour the web—specifically, Craigslist. Do it early; people from all over the States flock to the shore for their summer getaways. We recommend rooming with friends or posting an ad for roommates when deciding to live shore side.

New York University Dormitories
Location: Varies (throughout Manhattan)
Price: $165-360 per week (meal plans: $105-128 per week)
Furnished: Yes
Website: http://www.nyu.edu/summer/housing/index.htm

NYU’s dorm life is far from typical. No, you won’t be living near a few dining halls or a slew of other dorms. Say hello to your new summer home — Greenwich Village. From May to August, NYU dorms are open to students and interns from all over for a weekly rate. Apartment-style dorms are spread throughout lower Manhattan and include an extra-long twin bed with a mattress, a desk with a chair and a dresser. Each dorm is within four blocks of the nearest subway stations, which makes transit efficient between Greenwich and Midtown. Sure, NYU dorms can be a bit pricey, but for a summer home among fine eateries, beautiful green spaces, celebrity townhomes and convenient subway stations, these dorms are a safe and sophisticated option.

Editor’s Note: Non-NYU, non-enrolled applicants are no longer able to request single bedrooms on their applications.

International House, New York
Location: Riverside and 122nd (Morningside)
Price: $750-$1,300 per month
Furnished: Yes
Website: http://www.ihouse-nyc.org

If you’re willing to brave the balminess of upper-Manhattan’s summer without air conditioning, check out International House, New York. Sure, lack of AC sounds like a turn-off, but International House is on the more affordable side for Manhattan. Completely furnished with a bed, desk, dresser, bookcase, lamp, chair, linens and towels, single room prices start just under $800 per month. With its location in the Upper West Side, transit to and from work may be a bit longer than expected, but International House is a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Midtown at a short distance away. Walk three blocks, and you’ll find yourself heading down Broadway via subway. The best part — the view. Enjoy the abundance of greenery just blocks away from the Hudson River. Urban charm with a hint of natural surroundings: check!

Still looking for good alternatives for summer living in NYC? Craigslist is an excellent source to find many of your apartment needs. You can find hundreds of daily posts for subleases and short-term rentals. Make your research extensive; hunt through the online pages of local apartment listings. Don’t be afraid to settle for a bit less quality for the price. Besides, in the city that never sleeps, you might not have to spend much time in your apartment.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.