MU Dance Marathon: Dancing For The Kids Who Can’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Dance Marathon returns to Mizzou March 10, and the MU Dance Marathon steering committee is determined to reach the $100,000 pledge they made with MU Children’s Hospital in 2009.

The marathon is a student-led philanthropic event that brings together people in the community to dance and participate in activities for a full 12 hours – without the aid of caffeine. Participants form teams and raise money for MU Children’s Hospital through donations.

Junior Carly Love, director of public relations for MUDM 2012, says the steering committee would love to see each dancer raise at least $100 for the cause. She encourages people to participate because it truly is a one-of-a-kind event.

“It’s not something you can find everywhere,” Love says. “Our event is very special because the hospital we benefit is right here in town, so we can actually see where that money is going. You can run a marathon, but very rarely will you have the chance to dance a marathon.”

The main event takes place from noon until midnight March 10. A DJ and live entertainment will help participants, who are required to stand for the entire 12 hours, pass the time.

There will not be many changes from MU Dance Marathon’s in the past, Love says, but the few changes will all be positive.

“I think we’ll have a couple of different performances, and the opening ceremony is different, as well as the morale dance,” Love says. “We try to stick with the traditions that we have. The layout is going to be a little different this year because we have a lot of other activities.”

She says her favorite part of the main event besides the morale dance is finding out just how much they will really help MU Children’s Hospital through the marathon.

“At the very end of the night, we do the morale dance for the last time,” Love says. “Then we make the reveal and announce how much money we raised. Everyone who’s in that room has played a role in helping out those kids, so seeing the final result is awesome!”

Dance Marathon not only involves students but also local businesses and community members interested in supporting a great cause.

Moon Belly Dance Studio will participate in MUDM 2012 with a group of seven dancers. MU junior Jessica Silverman organized Moon Belly’s team.

“I thought it’d be great for Moon Belly because we’re dancers,” Silverman says. “Dancing for 12 hours is a dream come true!”

Kandice Grossman, Moon Belly owner, says they ideally participate in local fundraising three to five times a year, and MUDM 2012 fits with their genre.

“We’ve wanted to give more to the community and do some philanthropic events while adding a little belly-dancer twist to it,” Silverman says. “This is the perfect way.”

The Moon Belly team initially set its goal at $100, but because they’ve far surpassed that, they are now aiming for $500.

“Most of the fundraising we do is in the form of service or performance, so we were really kind of nervous about asking for money,” Grossman says. “We’re new to it and a little shy.”

Grossman is a mother of two and says her heart goes out to parents of children in a hospital.

“The thought of my children having to be in the hospital for an extended period of time is heart-breaking,” Grossman says.

It makes sense to raise money for Children’s Hospital and aid the community no matter the charity, Silverman says.

“Belly dancing really digs deep into the philosophy of being a woman, but it also empowers us to be strong, sensual, earthy and proud,” Silverman says.

Moon Belly will put on a surprise show in the middle of the main event for participants and guests.

Both Grossman and Silverman say they are excited for their performance and believe it will be fun for guests and dancers to watch.

In addition, MUDM will have performances by local bands, Tiger X instructors, dance teams and theatre groups, as well as speakers and various activities.

Registration is open until the day of the main event. To find out more about MUDM 2012, visit the website or check out Facebook and Twitter.

Photo source: dancemarathon.missouri.edu

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!