This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“The Nun,” the fifth edition to the Conjuring movie series, was anticipated by every horror movie fan after the first preview arrived. It released in theaters on Thursday, September 6 and personally, I expected it to be scarier. If you don’t already know, “The Nun” is basically the prequel to “The Conjuring 2.” It focuses on the freaky nun demon, Valack, and the demon’s entire story of existence before haunting the family in “The Conjuring 2.”

I was definitely expecting scarier, but the animation used to make the nun’s face was plain gross (so really good because I’m guessing that’s what they were going for). The casting for the film was definitely up to par. I loved Frenchie, a man who lives in Romania and helps out Father Burke and Sister Irene, so much but (SPOILER ALERT) am so sad that he was the guy at the beginning of “The Conjuring 2” who the Warren’s failed to save through an exorcism. The entire movie basically focused on the three main characters: Father Burke, Sister Irene, and Frenchie, and their journey to fight off Valack in the haunted abbess.

I absolutely love scary movies and am always expecting the best when I go to see one in theaters. “The Nun” was definitely a well put together movie. The plot was easy to follow and tied back at the end to “The Conjuring 2” film. The best way to describe the movie would be creepy more than anything else. It definitely was not the type of scary movie you go to and scream, but the one where you literally cringe the whole time. Go check it out because it’s one of the few decent horror movies that has come out in a while.

HC Contributer Mizzou