Mizzou’s Very Own Miss Columbia Hanna Runyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Hanna Runyon, a sophomore at Mizzou, just won Miss Columbia on October 1! She participated in several pageants before this one. She will now go on to the Miss Missouri pageant, which takes place next June in Mexico, Mo. If she wins there, she will begin an even greater and harder journey toward Miss America.

Her Campus Mizzou: How did you get started with pageants?
Hanna Runyon: I got involved in pageants through my friend back home when she asked me to do the county pageant with her. She never branched over to the Miss America organization, but I continued to explore the pageant world.

HCM: How did you prepare for Miss Columbia?
HR: I practiced singing my songs when I could and practiced walking in my heels a few times. Three weeks earlier I sprained my ankle, so I had to be careful not to overexert myself.

HCM: How did you feel right before winning Miss Columbia?
HR: I was feeling a little disappointed with myself because I didn’t win a preliminary award. However I stayed hopeful and confident in my performance.

HCM: How will you prepare for Miss Missouri?
HR: I have to have a real plan of action and put meaningful amounts of effort in, so I can do well. I have personal trainers for all aspects of the pageant – exercise, walking, talent and swimsuit – and plan on taking vocal lessons as well.

HCM: Where do you get your dresses for your pageants?
HR: I get each of my dresses from different places. Having a name brand and the most expensive gown doesn’t mean anything to me. I just want to love it and feel elegant in it on stage.

HCM: What other pageants have you participated in?
HR: I have participated in seven pageants altogether. I did Miss Marion County three times before I won. I then competed at the Miss Missouri State Fair Pageant. From there, I competed at the Miss Hannibal Pageant and the Miss River City/Miss Metro St. Louis Pageant, which is where I sprained my ankle. Finally on Oct. 1, I won Miss Columbia.

HCM: Who are your biggest supporters?
HR: My biggest supporters are definitely my family members. They each offer something different. My mom gives me a lot of positive advice, while my stepfather is very proud of me and often allows me to get new dresses.

HCM: What’s your favorite part of each pageant?
HR: The interview because it’s the only time the judges can get a real sense of who you are and what you stand for.

HCM: Why do you participate in pageants?
HR: I participate in pageants for many reasons. For one, they are great opportunities to explore who you are and gain confidence. They also offer a lot of scholarship money for young women to pursue higher education. Lastly, you can meet so many new, fabulous girls and make lasting friends. I believe that pageants are a great opportunity for all girls for all the same reasons that I do them.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!