This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

**TW: Rape/Sexual Assault**

The Minnesota Supreme Court recently overturned a federal rape conviction because the woman was “intoxicated by her own will.” 

Minnesota law defines rape as assault of someone who is known to be “mentally incapacitated.”

The Minnesota Supreme Court interpreted this statute saying that this does not include someone who is “voluntarily intoxicated by alcohol.”

This ruling sets a dangerous precedent for future cases and perpetuates harmful stereotypes about rape. 

People, especially women, who experience assault after drinking are often blamed for being attacked. Other questions, such as, “What were you wearing?” perpetuate the idea that victims of assault are responsible for what happened to them. 

RAINN reports that there are over 433,000 victims of rape and sexual assault each year in the United States. Women experience especially high rates of sexual violence and millions of women have been the victims of sexual assault in the US. 

If you are looking for help or support you can access RAINN’s 24/7 line at 800.656.HOPE or use their live chat function. 

Cara is a Sophomore at Mizzou studying Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Peace Studies. She loves journaling, handwritten letters and nature. You can find her listening to indie or worship music and slam poetry. Cara is also a Cincinnati, Ohio native and lover of Skyline Chili and Greater's Ice Cream.
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.