Meet Brynne Whittaker!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Brynne Whittaker, performer in Spring Awakening

Senior Brynne Whittaker has not only been thrown into the broadcast journalism program at Mizzou, but has also taken on other leadership roles such as being an MU Tour Guide and a member of Kappa Delta sorority. On top of the activities she’s already involved in, she took on a role in the University of Missouri’s fall play, Spring Awakening. Her Campus Mizzou sat down with Brynne to chat about her upcoming role.

Her Campus Mizzou: So you auditioned and received a role in the upcoming MU theater musical Spring Awakening. How does it feel to receive such an amazing role?

Brynne Whittaker: I am incredibly excited to be performing in Spring Awakening.  Although this musical is full of teenage angst, the music and lyrics are so powerful that everyone in the cast is moved in a different way each time we rehearse.  

HCM: Why did you originally audition?

BW: I’ve always wanted to be in the Mizzou fall musical, I’ve auditioned every year and finally made the cut!  I have been craving the electrifying feeling I get when I perform! 

HCM: Are musicals something you were always interested in?

BW: Yes, singing and dancing on stage runs in my blood!  I performed in every school musical at my high school and have participated in every homecoming and Greek Week skit with my sorority here at Mizzou.  It’s a pretty incredible feeling to tell a story through song.  

HCM: What are you looking forward to most about the production?

BW: I am most looking forward to performing the musical number, ‘Totally Fu**ed’.  It’s a hilarious song and is full of energy!  As actors, we can just let go and go nuts during that number.

HCM: Can you give us a few details about the performance?

BW: I wouldn’t want to give anything away…just expect a whole lot of emotion, great singing and powerful plot lines

HCM: What is your favorite part of the production process?

BW: My favorite part of the production so far is the girl power song, ‘Mama Who Bore Me’.  The tight harmonies, feminist attitude and fabulous movement make this number an adrenaline rush.  

HCM: Aside from musicals, what other activities are you involved in on campus?

BW: I am a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, an MU Tour Guide, a reporter and anchor at KOMU-8 News and a member of ODK secret society.  

HCM: Are you planning to pursue a career in theater after graduation?

BW: I plan to pursue a career in TV news after graduation, but I hope to never stop performing on the side!  I want to continue performing in community theatre on the side while reporting news on TV!