Lessons From Kate: How To Be A Collegiette™ Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Since the royal wedding in April, Kate Middleton, now the Duchess of Cambridge and future Queen of England, has become an icon embodying modern-day grace and style. It’s no surprise that she’s become a role model to so many, including collegiettes™ across the country. Now the question is how we can take after the princess while maintaining a college lifestyle. Have no fear, collegiettes™, because there are several steps that can turn you into MU’s resident princess.

[pagebreak]

Look the part

Although it’s tempting to rock the sweatpants and messy bun most days, a princess would rarely be caught in such an outfit. There are numerous articles detailing how one can emulate Kate’s style, even on a collegiette™ budget! Go for quality rather than quantity when it comes to your wardrobe and look for ways to adapt Kate’s signature style into your everyday look. Lace pieces, tailored pea coats and nude heels are all good places to start. Take some extra time in the morning to put yourself together. That being said, it’s probably not the best idea to wear your tiara to class. Even if it’s just adding a faux-pearl necklace to an outfit or switching out your flip-flops for more elegant ballet flats, that royal touch can really make a difference.

[pagebreak] 

Mind your manners
No princess would be caught dead being rude or sloppy. A true royal is always gracious, kind and polite. Say thank you, smile and refrain from breaking common-sense etiquette. You don’t need to sit rod-straight at all times or stress about which fork to use, but occasionally think to yourself, “What would Kate do?” You can keep your manners in mind, and still avoid being typecast as the royal priss. Don’t be snobby or condescending like the less admirable royals. Instead treat every subject as you would a friend.

[pagebreak]

Get involved
Embody your inner Princess Diana and get involved around campus. The late Princess of Wales was a spokesperson for numerous charities, so take a tip from her and join campus service organizations. Volunteer at the Central Missouri Humane Society or collect donations for Rainbow House. The enchanting smile you wear as you serve your community will not go unnoticed by your loyal subjects. Just don’t limit your influence to service. Kate is frequently spotted at princely polo matches, fashion shows and special galas. Make your own royal appearances at football games and other campus events. No princess will stay locked in her castle – or dorm room – forever. Your best bet for becoming a campus princess is running for student government. It’s the closest you’ll come to a real reign.

[pagebreak]

Keep your reputation clean
When was the last time you saw pictures of Kate at a frat party making out with some random guy in a corner, bra hanging out and a beer in her hand? That’s right, never. Your exploits probably won’t be broadcast for the world to see in Us Weekly, yetthose photos on Facebook can do just as much damage to your princess image. Always imagine that there are cameras around waiting to catch the latest scandal. If anything you’re doing seems questionable, ask yourself how your subjects would react. If the answer’s not so pretty, then that’s a good indication you should change your ways.

[pagebreak]

Find your prince
This is not to say that a girl needs a prince to bring out her inner princess, but it doesn’t hurt. If you’re currently dating a scummy or infamous campus fool, set your sights a bit higher. Make that campus cutieyours and have a true prince charming on your arm. If a prince is nowhere to be found, don’t let it affect you! Continue to walk around campus with grace and poise. Look at Sweden’s Crown Princess Victoria for inspiration. She didn’t marry her prince until she was 33, and that didn’t stop her!

So maybe being a real princess isn’t in the average collegiette’s future. It doesn’t mean you can’t be an everyday royal. Whether heading to class on foot or in a pumpkin carriage, every girl deserves to be a princess. 

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!