Last-Minute Halloween Costumes for the Procrastinators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you’re like me, you still haven’t even thought about a Halloween costume. Though the day is slowly approaching, and my mind and body are definitely not ready for this occasion, we all need some type of costume. Whether you’re going to a lavish party or staying home to greet little kids, you HAVE to dress up. Trust me, you’re never too cool for dress-up my friends. I’ve come up with 10 easy costumes you can put together in a day or two for all you procrastinators like myself, which I’m sure is almost all of you.

A Skeleton

Order a skeleton dress from Amazon, and get two-day shipping. You can even paint a terrible skeleton on a Wal-Mart XXL t-shirt for this idea. Maybe throw on some face paint or makeup to make you look extra boney like the lines on your mouth or dark eye holes, and there you have it: you’re a skeleton.

“Risky Business” 

Everyone’s favorite fraternity party theme. This is such an easy costume. Steal a big white button-down from your boyfriend, dad or that guy who lives down the hall. Wear some square sunglasses and high white socks, and throw on a good bra underneath for a confidence boost. I’m pretty sure 75 percent of the people who have dressed up for this theme have never seen the movie, me being one of them, so look up a plot summary if you want to seem really smart. 

A Witch

Wear all black and grab a floppy hat. You can even use your broom you have at home if you want another element. Maybe even draw on a big mole with some eyeliner if you’re feeling up to it. Just call yourself the star of the “Hocus Pocus” sequel. 

When Life Gives You Lemons

Grab a white t-shirt, and write “life” on it. Get a bag of lemons from the store. I mean, I really don’t know what else to say about this costume. You’re a walking life motto.

A Ghost

Not exactly the hottest costume of the year, but if you’re desperate, this is a no-brainer. Take an old, ratty sheet and cut out two eye holes. Maybe even cinch your waist with a belt, and pull out the fabric over it to cover it. You could even cut the whole head out for a ghost hood. Honestly, you could just wear a white t-shirt dress and call it a day. 

Sandy from “Grease”

Grab some black pants, leather ones if you’re going all out, and a tight black top. You can also cut the neck of the top so that it goes off the shoulders like her look in the movie. Curl your hair, a LOT, slather on some red lipstick, and grab some gold hoops. You’ll also need a leather jacket and a big black belt to complete the look. Another element of Sandy’s look in the final scene is a cigarette, but I think you can still give the same effect without it (or you can use the “it’s a metaphor” line.)

Regina George from “Mean Girls”

Buy a cheap white tank and cut out the boob holes. Make sure you have a colored bra, a black skirt and some black heels, and you might as well be a student at North Shore High School. Blond hair is another element of the costume, but I think you brunettes can pull it off just as well.

A Vampire

Wear either all black or a white button up with a black cape. Use some red lipstick and apply a darker shade in some spots to create the look of blood on your lips. Dip a paint brush or small makeup brush in the lipstick to create the lines on your face, and use some dark eyeshadow under your eyes to make you look extra dead. Buy some fangs and fake blood from the store and drip it wherever you think a freshly fed vampire would have some. Behold, a lady Dracula.

Face“book”

Jim Halpert did it best. Wear all blue, draw “book” across your face, and maybe draw a big F on your chest. For Facebook, of course. 

Error 404: Costume Not Found

Truly the last LAST minute costume, this look can be made with an old t-shirt and a Sharpie. I’ll be ashamed if you wear this one with all the other easy ideas on this list. This look is only okay if it’s an hour before the party starts and you really have no time at all to look for a costume. Then and only then will I forgive you for this one (at least try to dress it up, please!)

HC Contributer Mizzou