This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
The Mizzou Alumni Association recognized Kelsey Brown for her academic achievements, service and leadership. Kelsey was selected to be part of the Mizzou ‘39, an honor only given to 39 Mizzou seniors each year in honor of the university’s founding in 1839. She has been very active on campus, performing many roles in different organizations. She has been on the executive board for Intercollegiate Communication Organization of Mizzou (iCOM), a communication organization. Kelsey has also been heavily involved in the Mizzou Tour Team, the Greek Week Steering Committee, and in Alpha Chi Omega. Her Campus Mizzou sat down with Kelsey to discuss her involvement on campus and her becoming one of the Mizzou ‘39.

Her Campus Mizzou: What motivated you to play such an active role at Mizzou? Did you just jump in your freshman year? 

Kelsey Brown: I was very involved in high school. I’ve always liked being busy. I had a rough transition when I came to Mizzou. I struggled my first semester and wasn’t even sure I wanted to stay when I came home for winter break. My parents encouraged me to push through so I came back and got involved. After that, I was sold. 

HCM: What drew you to being involved in iCOM?

KB: I joined iCOM my freshman year really just looking to become more involved in the communications department. It ended up being a great opportunity to form connections with faculty and other communication students so I continued my involvement. I served as treasurer for a year and then became president. 

HCM: How has your experience with MU Tour Team been?

KB: I joined Tour Team my freshmen year too. It has grown to become probably my favorite organization that I have been involved in. I love welcoming visitors and prospective students to campus, but my favorite part has been getting to know so many phenomenal people within the team that I wouldn’t have met otherwise; I have learned so much from them. This past year I became one of the leaders. It has been a challenge, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

HCM: You mentioned being on the Greek Week Steering Committee. What was most memorable about being on the committee?

KB: It was a lot of fun! I was on the games committee so I helped organize the sporting events for Greek Week. It was another experience where I got to meet some really fantastic people and work together to do something really big. It’s where I ended up meeting some of my closest friends. 

HCM: What made you want to become the Vice President of Risk Management for your sorority?

KB: I have always felt very strongly about the safety of our women. In the year I had the position, the executive board and I worked to alter the position and create a system that would improve the safety of our members at social events. We wanted to make positive changes that would benefit the entire chapter.

HCM: Has it been difficult for you to manage your time between the different roles you have held on campus? 

KB: At times, yes. Many of my friends can attest that I often run around like a chicken with its head cut off. For the most part, I’ve been able to balance it out. I have tried to plan my activities so they don’t all hit at once. 

HCM: What does it mean to you to be part of the Mizzou ‘39?

KB: I was so humbled and honored. I always talked about Mizzou ‘39 when I gave tours but never thought I would be privileged enough to be selected. My Mizzou experience has been so transformational and incredible. Being selected for Mizzou ‘39 really put it all into perspective. 

HCM: You recognized Dr. Michael Porter, the head of the communication department, as your mentor. What type of impact did he make in your time here?

KB: I had Dr. Porter for my very first class at Mizzou, Comm 2100. If you are lucky enough to know Dr. Porter, you know that he leaves an impression on you from the instant you meet him. I loved his spirit and energy but since it was a large lecture hall I didn’t know him personally. Eventually, when I started to become more involved in the communication department, I worked closely with him. He helped connect me to the internship I had in New York last summer with FOX, for which I feel indebted to him. His animation and sassiness always cheer me up. 

HCM: I noticed you’re studying organizational communication and marketing. What would you like to do after graduation?

KB: I would ideally like to work in sales. I don’t graduate until December but I have an internship this summer lined up with the National Basketball Association (NBA) back in New York. I would love to end up there after graduation. If that doesn’t work out, I have a strange interest in working abroad, particularly Asia. I love experiencing new cultures and that is next on my list!