In It to Win It! Gymnast Sarah Shire Leaves Incredible Legacy at Mizzou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Yurchenko back layout. Double tuck. Flip-flop. Round-off. Handstand. Sarah Shire does it all.

At 4’10”, Sarah is a petite powerhouse. The gymnast competed in the all-around – the balance beam, uneven bars, vault and floor exercise – at Mizzou. She graduated in December after a record-breaking season. Sarah spent two weeks in 2010 as the No. 1 gymnast nationally in the all-around. She was the first MU gymnast to hold the top spot and is the most decorated gymnast in the school’s history, with 11 all-around titles in 2010 alone. She also led the Tigers to compete in the NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Championship for the first time ever.

Here, she talks to Her Campus Mizzou about her past, present and future.

Her Campus Mizzou: How did you get your start in gymnastics?
Sarah Shire:
I started gymnastics when I was 3. I was in preschool and happened to be good at it at 3 years old. I fell in love with it from there. I was training in Jefferson City. Then when I was 13, I decided to go to GAGE in Kansas City, where I did most of my training.

HCM: You went to the University of Utah your freshman year. Why did you originally choose Utah, and why did you transfer?
SS:
Utah was the top school in gymnastics in the nation at that time, and they recruited me heavily. I made a quick decision to go because I was training for the world championship while I was still in high school. After my freshman year, Utah was just too far from home. I walked on Mizzou’s team my sophomore year. I had a scholarship for my junior and senior years. But I had competed at Utah for an entire season. We took second as a team at nationals. I wasn’t able to get that year back, but luckily I didn’t have to sit out at Mizzou.

HCM: How would you describe a typical day during the gymnastics season?
SS:
It really is a lifestyle. It’s what you eat and how much sleep you get and how well you take care of your body. You’re definitely playing for your school, and it’s a standard you need to uphold. We had training, lifting and meetings for 20 hours a week. Then, we had eight to 10 hours of study hall depending on our age and GPA, plus 12 to 15 hours of class.

HCM: You’re in graduate school for sports psychology. Because you’re a grad student, can you compete in gymnastics?
SS:
Since I competed at the NCAA level for four years, my eligibility is up. So, senior year was my last year.

HCM: You have numerous gymnastics awards. What are some of your most memorable?
SS:
As for college career awards, I am a four-time All-American. It’s one of the highest accolades. To be an All-American in gymnastics, you have to qualify for nationals. As a junior, I did that as an individual, and as a senior my team made it. At nationals, you compete for three days. The first day of competition determines whether you compete on the third day. The first day I did well. Then if you’re in the top 10, you’re an All- American. I was in the top eight for the vault and floor. I finished fifth in the nation and second in the nation on floor.

Within the Big 12, I was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Year my sophomore year. As a junior and senior, I was named gymnast of the year and won the all-around as well.

HCM: What did you feel when you won those awards?
SS:
Initially, excitement. It was definitely a rewarding feeling. It was kind of like that sigh of relief. It really has paid off; you’ve worked that whole season, and it’s really nice to be recognized. It’s also a good accolade to put with the name Missouri. It’s important for me to have the name of the University of Missouri on my back. That’s something I take great pride in.

It’s so much bigger than what you think it is. This is not just gymnastics; this is not just club level. You’re competing division one, University of Missouri, Big 12. It’s a pretty big accomplishment.

HCM: Did you have a group of people helping you reach your goals?
SS:
It was one of those things I couldn’t have done by myself. I had a support network. The team is 12 girls and three coaches, plus trainers, strength staff and a sports psychology staff. We have a total person program at Mizzou with academic advisors. And now that I’ve graduated and have my degree, I can still go back to those people for advice.

HCM: What do you think when you look back on your college career?
SS:
I think sometimes I’m even a little bit surprised. It’s a lot. I’m really proud of that, but I know I couldn’t have done it alone. Yes, I accomplished a lot, but it wasn’t just my journey – it was the entire team’s. We literally rewrote history in the sense that we were the first Mizzou team to qualify for nationals.

HCM: As a senior, were you a team leader?
SS:
I’d like to say I was seen as a leader. I know that I did lead physically, but I was also a vocal leader as well. I would hope that helps the younger kids – the girls who aren’t as experienced. I helped them with calming their nerves by knowing how to compete and just knowing what to expect when walking into competitions. My entire senior class is able to help everybody. Four of us graduated; having a larger class definitely helps the younger girls.

HCM: Where are some of the places gymnastics has taken you?
SS:
When I was in high school, I traveled to Japan and the Netherlands. It was a special experience. In college, it was not so much about where we went but what we did there. It was more about having fun with your team.

HCM: How are you involved in gymnastics today?
SS:
I coach at Sportz USA, and I hope to coach for as long as I can. I don’t train anymore. Besides my weekly run, that’s about all the training I do. I can flip still, but I don’t dedicate myself to it. It’s about the athletes that I’m coaching now.

HCM: What do you do now to stay in shape?
SS:
I am currently training for a half-marathon. It’s just something to set my mind to right now and to focus on.

HCM: What are your goals for the future?
SS:
Sports psychology is definitely something I want to teach younger kids as I continue to coach. For right now, I really enjoy it and the relationships I have with kids. Eventually, I want to coach NCAA division one as a head coach. I would implement sports psychology into their everyday workouts.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.