It’s Not Too Late! Save a Life, or Three, in This Week’s Homecoming Blood Drive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.”

“More than 44,000 blood donations are needed every day.”

“More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.”

These are all facts from the American Red Cross, the largest supplier of blood and blood products in the United States. Developed during World War II, its services still continue helping millions of people every day. Since it was founded, communities, churches, schools and more have hosted blood drives to gather donations for the Red Cross.

During homecoming, Mizzou holds largest multi-day blood drive in the nation. Last year MU surpassed its goal of 5,000 units collected, and it plans to reach that goal again. MU’s Greek homecoming pairings help to generate the large numbers of donors and volunteers that make this blood drive possible. MU junior Cale Roberts is currently serving on the 2012 Homecoming Steering and Blood Committees. Since he was in high school, he has donated blood 10 times and plans to continue to give. “It’s an easy way to give back and sometime we’re going to need help,” Roberts says. “That’s what makes all this worth it.”

Every two seconds there is a person in need of a blood transfusion. The average pint of blood donated can save up to three lives, making each donation essential and crucial. But the statistics show that though there is a lot of blood being donated this week, it won’t last long at all. “All the blood being collected at the MU blood drive will be sent to 80 hospitals across Missouri and will only last about one week,” Roberts says.

As Roberts surveyed the donation scene at the Hearnes Center, he expressed his gratitude to all the people who were donating. “If they’re thinking about donating blood for the first time, I’d say come out and give it a try,” Roberts says.

Of course, certain requirements can hold people back from giving blood, but there is still a way to make a difference and get involved. Blood drives are always in need of volunteers.

For more information on volunteering or donating blood for the MU homecoming blood drive you can reach Cale Roberts at HomecomingBloodDrive@missouri.edu or check out the website at www.mizzou.com/homecoming.

Photo Credits:
http://donateblood.com/