I’ve never been to a party. It’s okay if you haven’t either.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In high school, I never went to a real party. Well, I did go to the birthday party here and there, but they were never the ones you’d be worried about the cops busting. I don’t think having a McDonald’s chicken nugget feast and watching a cringeworthy Netflix movie would warrant that.

During my freshman year of college, I attended a small university in Missouri. I never went to a party and I never had any interest in doing so. It’s not my scene and still isn’t. I had a lot of friends ask me if I was going to start partying once I transferred to Mizzou. Every time, the answer was no.

It’s my sophomore year now and I have yet to attend a party. I don’t think I ever will. I don’t have anything against people who like to party—it’s just not my element at all. And it’s okay if it’s not yours either.

There are a lot of reasons why parties don’t appeal to everyone, including social anxiety, not wanting to drink, or just not having any interest in attending a party. Of course, there are a lot more reasons than just this. It’s important to remember, though, that you don’t owe anyone a reason as to why you don’t want to go to a party. If parties make you uncomfortable, you don’t have to go. At the end of the day, it’s your choice.

Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

I know some people that I went to high school with have attended parties in an attempt to fit in. I’m here to tell you that no, you don’t have to go to that party just to feel like everyone else. There are so many opportunities for you to meet new people and find where you belong in college. Sure, parties can be a fun place to befriend people, but it’s not the only place. If you want to build new relationships and find a community, try joining a club that interests you or talking to the person who sits next to you in class. This was how I met almost every single one of my friends. 

Parties aren’t the only way for you to have fun in college, either. You can still enjoy yourself on a night in with a few people or even just yourself. On Friday nights, I would always hang out with my two best friends and have a movie night. We would all wear our pajamas, spill some tea, have snacks, and laugh at ridiculously bad scary movies together. I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

The college experience is different for everyone. Everyone wants to get something out of attending college. I promise it’s okay if your reasoning might not be the same as some of your peers.

Hi! I'm Olivia, and I'm a sophomore at Mizzou studying Atmospheric Science. I spend my free time listening to music (Glass Animals are my favorite), watching documentaries, looking at the sky, and playing Pokemon Go, Fortnite, and The Sims!
HC Contributer Mizzou