This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Guess who’s sick? Reporting to you live from my bed, it’s officially sick season. COVID-19, sinus infections, or ‘frat flu;’ everyone I know has something. It also doesn’t help that we’re still living in the middle of a pandemic and any cold symptoms can cause anxiety that you might have COVID-19.

I miss the days when I was sick and I could stay home from school, watch TV all day, and my mom would bring all my meals to me in bed. Now, I get to go to work (I’m not contagious, don’t worry), worry about school and take care of myself. Being an adult sucks.

If you also feel like death, here are some things you can do as you cheer on your white blood cells:
*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

Get Tested for covid-19

First things first, because we are living in a pandemic, you should probably get tested for COVID-19. Do it for peace of mind and also because everyone will ask you if you tell them you’re sick. You might as well reassure them that you are COVID-free.

Wear a Mask

Even though mask mandates have been lifted in a majority of areas, you should wear a mask (especially when you are sick). Most of us don’t have the luxury of staying home when we feel bad, so if you have to go to the store or class, wear your mask to prevent spreading your germs. Honestly, after the pandemic, I vote that we keep masks in general when we feel bad.

Rest

This seems obvious, but your body may just need a break. This is something I’m not able to do, as I’ve been violently coughing every time I lie down, but who doesn’t want to take a 12-hour nap and binge-watch Netflix.

Medicine

Ibuprofen, antibiotics, cough drops, drugs from your doctor; take them. Ricola Cough Drops are my medicine of choice. 

Comfort Food

Nobody wants to cook when they’re sick. I know you’re gonna order DoorDash or eat ramen. Popsicles are my favorite go-to when I’m sick—maybe it’s because they soothe my throat.

Moisturize

Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. Typically we get sicker in the winter when it’s dry outside. I know you don’t want to be crusty and flakey, so get yourself a good body moisturizer, face moisturizer and lip balm.

Take Care of Yourself

This is probably the most important thing. When we feel bad, we often reflect how we feel, and you may end up lying in a pile of tissues in the same week-old pajamas. Remind yourself to do the essentials, take a nice shower, drink lots of water, brush your hair, etc. Also, if you continue to feel bad after a prolonged period of time, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Let the trained professionals help you.

Hi! My name’s Makenna and I’m currently studying textile and apparel management at Mizzou. I am interested in ethical fashion, sustainability, and traveling.