This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Sex is nothing to be ashamed of — 97% of adult Americans have done it. With sex often comes concerns of pregnancy. If you plan on having sex and want to avoid the pregnancy bit, don’t worry. We have you covered!

That being said, birth control isn’t just for preventing pregnancy. It can help lessen periods or remove them altogether. It can help with acne or help with disorders like PCOS, and so much more.

We’re here to break down all the advantages and disadvantages that come with each method of birth control and to help you figure out what’s best for you.

All of these methods of birth control can be acquired for a range of prices. Most of them come out to be $0 with insurance. To learn more visit Planned Parenthood’s website or contact your insurance provider. 

Birth Control Implant

• 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
  • Can cost $0 to $1300.
  • Lasts up to 5 years.

IUD

• Can cost $0 to $1300.
  • Lasts from 3-12 years.

Birth Control Shot

• Injections occur every 3 months.
  • 94% effective in preventing pregnancy.
  • Can cost $0 to $150

Birth Control Vaginal Ring

• 91% effective in preventing pregnancy.
  • Can cost $0 to $200.
  • Insert yourself and take it out once a month.

Birth Control Patch

• Can cost $0 to $150.
  • Must replace weekly.

Birth Control Pill

• Can cost $0 to $50.
  • Must take daily.

DIAPHRAGM

• 88% effective in preventing pregnancy.
  • Can cost $0 to $75.
  • Must use it every time.

CONDOM

• 85% effective in preventing pregnancy.
  • Can cost $0 to $2.
  • Must use it every time.

There are plenty of other birth control options. Surgeries and more permanent solutions can be pricey but are worth looking into if you’re serious about not wanting children. Most of these options are offered at a discounted price by Planned Parenthood, but, for those uncomfortable with Planned Parenthood, you can secure birth control through your doctor or at many online websites like Nurx and SimpleHealth

“Birth control is the first important step woman must take toward the goal of her freedom. It is the first step she must take to be man’s equal. It is the first step they must both take toward human emancipation.”

Margaret Sanger, American birth control activist

All information credit to Planned Parenthood.

Emma Lingo is the senior editor at Her Campus’s University of Missouri chapter. She oversees the entertainment and culture verticals on the site, including television, movies, and book coverage. Beyond Her Campus, Emma works as a freelance writer. Her bylines have appeared in The List, The Missourian, Vox Magazine, Shifter Magazine and more. She will graduate with a major in journalism in Summer 2023 with an emphasis on reporting and writing. In her free time, Emma enjoys reading, journaling, and hanging out with her cat Tuna. She’s a certified Swiftie who has a major bone to pick with John Mayer and is always down to go from a drive and blast music.