How To: Dye Your Leggings or Jeans!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Patterns and designs are the big trend in pants right now! Bleached and dyed leggings and pants are all over the stores. Instead of hitting the mall for these looks, you can hit the local convenience store. It’s time to make your own leggings or jeans. Save your money and get creative!

You will need five simple things: bleach (or dye), water, small rubber bands, a bucket, and your bottoms of choice.

(To demonstrate, we used simple black leggings)

• Step 1: Take a leg of the leggings and rubber band around the leg starting at the bottom and work your way up, about two inches apart. Continue up as high as you can (about where the waist starts) and do the same to the other side.

• Step 2: Rubber band around the waist part of the leggings. Now roll each leg up to meet center and use a few rubber bands so that it stays in shrunken.

• Step 3: Put 3 cups of water in a bucket. Put legging in the bucket of water and pour 3 cups of bleach into the bucket and let leggings set in the mixture. BE CAREFUL! (do not touch the bleach for long or use gloves)

• Step 4: Let the leggings set in the mixture for 10 minutes. (With bleaching jeans: if you want a darker washed jean when finished, only let sit for 5 minutes)

• Step 5: Rinse out bleach with water. AGAIN, BE CAREFUL.

• Step 6: Machine-wash and dry the leggings and you are finished!

The picture below is what dyed jeans will look like:

***If you’d like different color leggings or jeans. Use the fabric color dye of your choice and substitute it for the bleach.

CAUTION: With these jeans or leggings, be prepared for many compliments! Who knows, some of your friends might even pay you for a pair.

She's a junior at the University of Missouri - Columbia, studying journalism with a strategic communication emphasis and a business minor. She hopes to be a part of the advertising world soon. She loves reading magazines, watching sports, and hanging out with family and friends.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.